SPOTLIGHT Joni Mitchell The Asylum Albums (1972-1975) (Quadio Boxed Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, great set, but how do you get the discs out of the card boar holder without getting finger prints on them???

Thanks, but i can't rip them. I guess i will just put them in a cd case. But the original covers are so beautiful!!

I'm listening to the DTS-HD Master "QUADIO" layer of For The Roses. The four quad speakers are playing, and the center is silent as expected. But when I walk to the back of the room the two rear speakers are also playing. (6.0 surround.)

Anyone know what is going on? One thing for sure is that it is very satisfying. I like it much more than the Atmos.

I'm listening to the DTS-HD Master "QUADIO" layer of For The Roses. The four quad speakers are playing, and the center is silent as expected. But when I walk to the back of the room the two rear speakers are also playing. (6.0 surround.)

Anyone know what is going on? One thing for sure is that it is very satisfying. I like it much more than the Atmos.
That happens to me all the time with my quads. I’ve looked at different settings on my AVR and Bluray player but haven’t figured out where I’m going wrong.

But like you, I’ve found I enjoy it and not sure I’d change it even if I do eventually figure it out.

I had the same problem with the quad from the Deep Purple set, had to set my Denon AVC to Direct to get it right.

Here's the waves for YTMOIAR - pure Quad, er... Quadio, check your pre-amp settttings!

JMA - YTMOIAR QUADIO.jpg

I had the same problem with the quad from the Deep Purple set, had to set my Denon AVC to Direct to get it right.
Setting my Marantz AVR to Direct or Pure Direct fixes it, but I like the sound more with the rear speakers playing...probably a duplicate of the surrounds. :unsure:

Edit: I should add that the reason I like the QUADIO better than the Atmos mix is that the former has a more intimate presentation.

This is a setting on your surround sound receiver. When it was initially calibrated, there should have been a setting over how additional back speakers should be used. The reason the back speakers are playing is because your speaker placement isn't perfect, and the bit playing in the back speakers is meant to make the audio sound like your speakers were placed in the ideal position.

So it is a duplicate of the surrounds, but played at a particular loudness depending on the placement of your side and rear speakers.

I just noticed on the bottom of the box set, in very light colored text:

DEDICATED IN MEMORIAM TO ELLIOT ROBERTS

I'm also not finding this box set inputted into discogs yet.
I had to look real hard but found that dedication on my copy too. It's fitting considering the role that Elliot Roberts played in Joni Mitchell's career. Joni's previous collection, The Reprise Albums, also carried the same dedication for Mr. Roberts.

PS: I found an entry on Discogs for the Quadio/Blu-Ray Edition of The Asylum Albums (no images for it yet but it does have the tracklisting for the set).

Last edited:
This is a setting on your surround sound receiver. When it was initially calibrated, there should have been a setting over how additional back speakers should be used. The reason the back speakers are playing is because your speaker placement isn't perfect, and the bit playing in the back speakers is meant to make the audio sound like your speakers were placed in the ideal position.

So it is a duplicate of the surrounds, but played at a particular loudness depending on the placement of your side and rear speakers.
Uhhhh, what are you talking about? This is the only time the back speakers have ever played with a quad disc in the deck. Every other time only the four speakers play.

Mine arrived today.
Fastest delivered from Rhino: ordered on 18th April and got it on 29th.
All in all 99,47€ (82,48€+16,99€ Spanish VAT and fee) with 15% applied before shipping.
For the first time, it came in a cardboard box with some thick bubbled plastic.
Surprisingly, mine has two identical mini posters
Not received my as of yet and ordered on 4/19. Absolutely no status updates to be found!

Uhhhh, what are you talking about? This is the only time the back speakers have ever played with a quad disc in the deck. Every other time only the four speakers play.
I don't know, then.

Does anyone know how to make a Marantz AVR behave like this (duplicate the surrounds in the rears) with all four channel recordings? I like the way it sounded with the rears playing as well as the surrounds. In the case of For The Roses, it added just the right sense of space to the rear soundstage.

Back