What IS and IS NOT in the Rhino vaults.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I don't know how everyone feels about this, but I'm always so confused about what is actually, possibly available to Rhino for a Quadio and what is not. I've been trying to keep a running list when things get confirmed by Steve, but I know I haven't been exactly right each time. I thought I'd start a list on here and with all of you experts, we can keep a detailed running on what is actually possible and what is absolutely not, especially those that were never released in the 70s as quadraphonic and might be out there.

I haven't included things that were already released in quad back in the day on this list, but I'd be happy to add those once they've been confirmed. I assume tapes get lost sometimes even when we know that they had been available at one time.

I haven't been able to find another string about this, but if I'm wrong, please let me know. Here's what I've gotten so far: (I'll try to update regularly, based on everyone's comments.)
---------
What's been confirmed as in the Rhino vaults but were never released as quad.

J Geils - Bloodshot
Foghat - Energized
Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing
Dionne Warwick - Track Of The Cat
James Taylor - In The Pocket

What has been confirmed as not in the Rhino vaults although rumored to be in quad:

Carly Simon - Another Passenger
Eagles - self-titled & Desperado
Deep Purple - Burn
Bonnie Raitt - Takin' My Time
Todd Rundgren - Initiation
ZZ Top - Fandango
Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Bread - Best of Vol 2

Albums previously released in quad and have been confirmed as available for release by Rhino.

(Pending)

All others that we have questions about:

(Pending)

Things that were never released in Quad, but have since been released:
Non Rhino -

Billy Cobham - Spectrum (released by Audio Fidelity)
Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery (Released in a box set, UK and Europe only)
Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die! (Released in a box set, UK and Europe only)
Rhino release -
Joni Mitchell Miles Of Aisles (now released as part of the Rhino box set)

Artists that were with Warner and associated labels (Rhino,) released quad stuff but are no longer part of WEA:

Allman Brothers Band
Black Oak Arkansas
Eric Clapton
Frank Sinatra
Mike Oldfield

Last edited:
iirc Jethro Tull's "Minstrel in the Gallery" Quad (only ever in ultra limited CD-4 test pressing form previously) got released in the corresponding CD/DVD Book Set.
But perhaps that version in the box set is not from the original tape reels? Per Discogs, it's "5.1 (4.0) DTS Surround / AC3 Dolby Digital Surround Flat Transfer Of Original 1975 Quad LP". :unsure:

I listened to my Audio Fidelity version just a few days ago and all I could think of was Rhino could do a better job.
Really? What do you not like about it? That disc is demonstration quality to my ears (which, admittedly, are terrible due to otosclerosis).

Things that were never released as Quad, but have since been released:
Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young To Die! (quad mix of entire album included in 2016 CD/DVD book set)
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (quad mixes of just four songs - the title track, "Jack-In-The-Green," "The Whistler," and "Velvet Green" - included in 2017 CD/DVD book set)
What has been confirmed as not in the vaults although rumored to be in quad:
Eagles - self-titled & Desperado
Deep Purple - Burn
Bonnie Raitt - Takin' My Time
Todd Rundgren - Initiation
ZZ Top - Fandango
Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold
How confirmed is confirmed to be available for quads previously released? "Officially" from someone inside who's seen the tape still exists, or confirmed as in WB has the rights to it and it's been released before?
Start here and continue reading through the thread.

Really? What do you not like about it? That disc is demonstration quality to my ears (which, admittedly, are terrible due to otosclerosis).
Possibly, because I was listening to some high quality Atmos, before I listened to the 4.0 AF and sounded flat.
All I said was, I think Rhino could do a better job, maybe they couldn't, I really don't know.
Sorry but that is as far as I can go in this conversation.

Possibly, because I was listening to some high quality Atmos, before I listened to the 4.0 AF and sounded flat.
All I said was, I think Rhino could do a better job, maybe they couldn't, I really don't know.
Sorry but that is as far as I can go in this conversation.
When you were listening, was the "Spectrum" album being retrofitted for Atmos through up-mixing? Just curious.

I'd love a Rhino/Asylum boxset of the Eagles, On The Boader, One of These Nights and Hotel California. I don't think Desperado was mixed in Quad but be nice if they did ATMOS mix that would be a great boxset (Side note rally want that dam Atlantic Crossing by Rod and Desire by Bob Dylan).

Back