WEA Quad titles no longer owned by WEA/Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I didn't see a thread concerning this, so I thought it might be a good idea to put this list together.

I used @JonUrban's WEA Group Records Checklist page as a starting point: QuadraphonicQuad - WEA GROUP Records Checklist

It appears that these titles are no longer under the ownership of WEA/Rhino so these are titles that would not be released as Quadio Blu-Rays:

Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch n Roll (confirmed by @ForagingRhino)
Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach (5.1 SACD released by Universal)
Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore (5.1 SACD released by Universal & Complete Fillmore East Recordings released in 5.1 surround on Blu-Ray by Universal)
Mothers of Invention - Overnite Sensation
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Frank Sinatra - Old Blue Eyes is Back
Frank Sinatra - Some Nice Things I’ve Missed
Frank Sinatra - The Main Event
Bill Wyman - Monkey Grip
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (4.0 Quadraphonic mix reissued by Universal on Blu-Ray as part of the Give Me Strength box set)
Eric Clapton - There’s One In Every Crowd (4.0 Quadraphonic mix reissued by Universal on Blu-Ray as part of the Give Me Strength box set)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (4.0 Quadraphonic mix reissued by SDE on Blu-Ray as part of the SDE Surround Sound Series)

So as you can see, not a very exhaustive list, so still plenty of good potential titles for Rhino to explore and reissue as part of their newly revitalized Quadio series

:)

While I am derailing this thread might as well ask any chance for Quadios of
Unreleased unknown quad mixes somewhere in the program?

I didn't see a thread concerning this, so I thought it might be a good idea to put this list together.

I used @JonUrban's WEA Group Records Checklist page as a starting point: QuadraphonicQuad - WEA GROUP Records Checklist

It appears that these titles are no longer under the ownership of WEA/Rhino so these are titles that would not be released as Quadio Blu-Rays:

Black Oak Arkansas - Raunch n Roll (confirmed by @ForagingRhino)
Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach (5.1 SACD released by Universal)
Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore (5.1 SACD released by Universal & Complete Fillmore East Recordings released in 5.1 surround on Blu-Ray by Universal)
Mothers of Invention - Overnite Sensation
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
Bob Dylan - Planet Waves
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Frank Sinatra - Old Blue Eyes is Back
Frank Sinatra - Some Nice Things I’ve Missed
Frank Sinatra - The Main Event
Bill Wyman - Monkey Grip
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (4.0 Quadraphonic mix reissued by Universal on Blu-Ray as part of the Give Me Strength box set)
Eric Clapton - There’s One In Every Crowd (4.0 Quadraphonic mix reissued by Universal on Blu-Ray as part of the Give Me Strength box set)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (4.0 Quadraphonic mix reissued by SDE on Blu-Ray as part of the SDE Surround Sound Series)

So as you can see, not a very exhaustive list, so still plenty of good potential titles for Rhino to explore and reissue as part of their newly revitalized Quadio series

Other than the Sinatra, nothing in this group makes me want to use a sad emoji. Sinatra, being a classic, of course, would be amazing to hear in the original quad on Blu-ray. I wonder who has control of that material?

Other than the Sinatra, nothing in this group makes me want to use a sad emoji. Sinatra, being a classic, of course, would be amazing to hear in the original quad on Blu-ray. I wonder who has control of that material?
AFAIK, Frank Sinatra Enterprises under license to Universal Music.

Quad mix on this is messed up. Part 2 has front left ahead of the other channels, front left too loud and front right too quiet. See the poll thread for that title for more details.

AFAIK, Frank Sinatra Enterprises under license to Universal Music.
Most of the Sinatra reissues are through Concord Music which is, as you say, controlled by UMG. In the past, Concord has released some wonderful surround reissues so hopefully with all the renewed interest in ATMOS, we will eventually see the REPRISE titles reissued in surround.

While I am derailing this thread might as well ask any chance for Quadios of
Unreleased unknown quad mixes somewhere in the program?

Well, in a period interview Old Quad Guy posted from vintage Billboard magazines, (dammit, I remember the article, but I can't remember the interviewee's name) he mentions that he expected 40-50 mixes to be complete by the end of the year, 1974. Since there were only 37 released Quad titles from the Warner Group; were the rest actually completed? There are LOTS of titles listed as unreleased from Warner, but many of them have already been proven to NOT exist such as a few of the Allman Brothers titles. I can guarantee the Beach Boys Quad was never done, considering that YES, many of their hits are on 8-track multi and could make decent Quad, MOST of the BB's tapes are the mono band track on 1, and vocal overdubs (or percussion or lead solo) on tracks 2 through 8. Hardly enough to make "Good" Quad. I don't think Joni Mitchell's "Blue" was ever completed - speculation is that they only did test mixes on songs from that album. The Jimi Hendrix "Crash Landing" I've never heard anything about for or against. "Sweet Baby James" was confirmed as not done. "Gord's Gold" was also confirmed as not done.

Deep Purple's "Burn" ?
Sabbath's "Sabotage"? (didn't Mr. Dutton confirm this wasn't in the vaults?)

Couple of Foghat titles maybe?

Quad mix on this is messed up. Part 2 has front left ahead of the other channels, front left too loud and front right too quiet. See the poll thread for that title for more details.
But Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (4.0 Quadraphonic mix was issued on a lovely SACD in original 4.0 quad. Is that previous SACD release of the album unblemished?

But Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (4.0 Quadraphonic mix was issued on a lovely SACD in original 4.0 quad. Is that previous SACD release of the album unblemished?
The SACD is fine. It was by comparing to my SACD that I released there is a problem with the quad on the blu ray. I suppose in theory the SACD could be wrong and the blu ray correct, but given the nature of the issues that doesn't seem likely.

You can add to the "No longer WEA quads":

The Beach Boys Good Vibrations/Greatest Hits
Jimi Hendrix Crash Landing
Black Oak Arkansas Street Party
Frank Zappa/The Mothers Roxy And Elsewhere

Back