HiRez Poll Newman, Randy - GOOD OLD BOYS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Randy Newman - GOOD OLD BOYS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this reissue of the classic Randy Newman album "Good Old Boys".
This Blu-Ray audio disc is part of Rhino's Quadio series and the disc features the first release of the original Quadraphonic mix for the first time since the 1970s!

(y):)(n)

RandyNewman_GoodOldBoys_Quadio.png

30% SURROUND MIX - 30%
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 30%
30% CONTENT - 30%
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 10%

Total Vote - 10. I have a new found appreciation for Randy Newman. This is the first time I've owned a physical copy of his music--and now realize what I've been missing. The song "Rednecks" where Newman addresses institutional racism in the Deep South and the hypocrisy of the Northern response is still relevant. But the biggest suprise for me came from "Every Man A King". I had heard it before...somewhere. It is written by the corrupt Louisiana politician Hewy "The Kingfish" Long. IMHO, the album is a masterpiece. Now in 192/24 resolution, the 4.0 mix sounds fresh and amazing.

IMO, Randy Newman is an AMERICAN ICON. While his satirical, biting lyrics are an endemic contribution to his success, Randy is also a prolific film composer. GOOD OLD BOYS via Rhino's superb 192/24 BD~A preserves all these classic elements. One can only hope that oneday NILSSON SINGS NEWMAN will be released in a high res format [Dutton Vocalion...are you listening] to fortify Newman's status as the classic crooner he has always been!

And NOW:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22308-good-old-boys/

This new Quadio sounds absolutely superb & gets a 10 from me!! Everything about this release is just perfect; not only does it sound incredible but it's a great quad mix and the music is just wonderful.

I LOVE Randy Newman, ...this album has always been one of my favorites and to hear it as it is now as a Quadio, it is just amazing.

I've listened to the album twice today and I have a feeling it will receive many, many more plays in the coming months.
I REALLY hope that "Sail Away" will be released as a quadio as well, ...I love that album just as much as this one.

Sounds great Quads we'll, just not sure Randy is the man for me.
Probably I need a few more listens but some thing I just don't find that great about the album

An easy 10 from me. A wonderful album. The sound is divine.

I listened right through then tried keying in track numbers to skip directly to whichever track took my fancy. Something really weird happened when I tried to play track 9. Using an Oppo 205. Is it just me?

Ya gotta be in the mood for the sarcastic Randy Newman stuff, but if you are, this album is at the top of the list. I also have a soft spot for mixes that put strings in the back and most everything else up front. A 10 for me.

This is a concept album that satirizes deep south sensibilities in the pre civil rights days. How do you think this album might be received if it were released in 2024?

Back