HiRez Poll Average White Band - AWB [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Average White Band - AWB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this reissue of the classic Average White Band album AWB.
This Blu-Ray audio disc is part of Rhino's Quadio series and the disc features the first release of the original Quadraphonic mix for the first time since the 1970s!

(y):)(n)

AWB_AWB_Quadio.png

30% SURROUND MIX - 30%
30% AUDIO FIDELITY - 30%
30% CONTENT - 30%
10% OVERALL PACKAGE - 10%

Total Vote: 10. Flashback to the 1974. "Pick Up The Pieces" got you on the dance floor to shake your booty. If you looked around the room, the disco ball shot rays of light on the joyful diversified celebrants. I picked up the vinyl CD4 Quadra Disc and wore it out. 50 years later we are lucky to hear this 192/24 BluRay in all it's 4.0 glory. IMHO it never sounded this good and is highly recommend.

Last edited:
What a revelation via Rhino's exquisite 192/24 BD~A disc! This Scottish Funk and R&B band was signed to Atlantic Records with Arif Mardin producing through the efforts of Eric Clapton's tour manager, Bruce McCaskill, who brought them to U.S. and coincidentally, AWB is the 15th MOST SAMPLED album ever released.

AWB reached Billboard's #1 slot in 1975 and as of 2022, after 50 years, the band is still performing LIVE!

Another slam dunk homerun from the folks @ RHINO.

Pick[in'] Up The Pieces INDEED!

Somehow I missed this album [during the quad era and later stereo CD era] (heard the hit song on the radio of course).

I just finished listening to this album for the 1st time (and now listening again) - WOW - the song mixes are great (and have a lot of gimmicks, which I like - vocals in the back channels etc.).

(I'll listen carefully again in a few days once I'm over my cold, which has affected my hearing a little)

9 is my rating.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Somehow I missed this album [during the quad era and later stereo CD era] (heard the hit song on the radio of course).

I just finished listening to this album for the 1st time (and now listening again) - WOW - the song mixes are great (and have a lot of gimmicks, which I like - vocals in the back channels etc.).

(I'll listen carefully again in a few days once I've over my cold, which has affected my hearing a little)

9 is my rating.

Kirk Bayne
Cast your vote! Not showing up yet.

Sorry, but I thought this was a terrible mix. Some of the instruments and sometimes vocals were missing. The balance was off too. This certainly cannot compare to those Quad releases from Philadelphia International, War or Charles Mingus.

Sorry, but I thought this was a terrible mix. Some of the instruments and sometimes vocals were missing. The balance was off too. This certainly cannot compare to those Quad releases from Philadelphia International, War or Charles Mingus.
Are you sure your system can play 4.0 properly? Missing instruments is a dead giveaway something could be wrong.

Are you sure your system can play 4.0 properly? Missing instruments is a dead giveaway something could be wrong.
My system is fine. All other Quad releases play well. My system plays quadrophonic sound in all its 192/24 four channels glory. I was really sadden by the sound as I own the original LP and it is mint. My turntable is a Regal P6 with an ania moving coil cartridge. My processor is a Bryston SP3.

I've had this album for decades and to be honest, it's never done anything for me. The sound of this disc is quite good though, as are all the Rhino quads which have come out in the past year.
I listened again last night and my sentiments remain. I found in many compositions that either the rhythm guitar was mixed too low or the vocals. The mix was uneven in some compositions and the bass was without the depth other quad mixes.

Back