cd4 turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fdrennen

What is required from a TT besides a cd4 capable cartridge? I have a vintage turntable an Elac 50h fited with a shure cartridge if I found a cd4 demodulator from a thrift shop do you think it would work? :confused:

fdrennen said:
What is required from a TT besides a cd4 capable cartridge? I have a vintage turntable an Elac 50h fited with a shure cartridge if I found a cd4 demodulator from a thrift shop do you think it would work? :confused:

Tonearm and cable capacitance can be a real pain with magnetic carts, especially marginal ones and CD-4. That is why I use moving coils, but not a good idea for an Elac TT. There is no real way to measure it, all you can easily do is see if the radar light comes on. A shibata/fine line/hypereliptical stylus is "usually" a must, especially if you don't want to scrape off those valuable subcarrier grooves. Good luck, Mike.

Quadzilla said:
Tonearm and cable capacitance can be a real pain with magnetic carts, especially marginal ones and CD-4. That is why I use moving coils, but not a good idea for an Elac TT. There is no real way to measure it, all you can easily do is see if the radar light comes on. A shibata/fine line/hypereliptical stylus is "usually" a must, especially if you don't want to scrape off those valuable subcarrier grooves. Good luck, Mike.
Thanx Mike I am going to need a lot of luck to find a demodulator anyway I have been searching for some time and have not yet found one. :(

fdrennen said:

There is a wealth of information here on the subject. I highly recommend liberal use of the search feature for this forum. (y)

Shouldn't be too much trouble to find a demodulator, the JVC 4DD5s show up on eBay regularly for as little as $25.00 to $35.00. Some prefer the Marantz CD-400 which tends to run well over $100.00 (not the 400B which has the troublesome automatic subcarrier). I find the JVC gives excellent separation if you don't mind a little record noise, as they tend to amplify it a bit.

Back