Classical hirez multichannel recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I have a handful of hi rez discs now, but I don't have any classical....can someone recommend anything? I don't like syrupy stuff....my favourite piece is The Planets, so something along those lines...preferably multichannel....no piano concertos or organ stuff , thanks.

Well I am into the "real" classical stuff. Don't care much for "pop" classical. I understand the Telarc SACD of the 1812 Overture is quite good. Also, there are numerous versions of The Planets on SACD as well. SACD seems to have a lot more classical titles than does DVD-A. One one really good DVD-A title (other than Mahler) is Dvorak's New World Symphony. I think that is another one that is considered in the Top 10 of popular classical.

By the way, is your work E-Mail messed up?

Thanks Guy......
dunno about the email.....the occasional one sneaks thru....I sent out about 7 to different people....no replies!

See my post about the stupid Inbox feature here, I think it's screwed too!

You may wish to check out AIX Records which can be found at www.aixrecords.com. They have a sampler that includes several classical titles. All the music included on the sampler was recorded specifically for the DVD-Audio format. These are new recordings. You may find their version of Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite right up your alley.

From the liner notes:

“The DVD-Video side of the disc contains a variety of information as well as music tracks & test tones. The music examples have been mixed in both “stage” and “audience” perspectives for comparative purposes.

The DVD-Audio side contains music examples that require a DVD-Audio capable player. The MLP 5.1 Surround mix and 192 kHz/24 bit examples are available through the on screen navigation or by accessing Group I (MLP 5.1) and Group 2 (PCM 192 kHz/24 bit) directly.”

Back