Columbia House Files Bankruptcy, Open Auction to Sell Company

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait..........Snood thought they were long gone. Have not seen an ad for them in ages.

Oh and yeah Snood was a proud CH and BMG member in the day tooooooooooo.

Their 99 cent to 1.99 bargain bin was da bomb :mad:@:

The record clubs could be a real bargain for the customers, but they were completely exploitive of the artists. Musicians received no income from record club sales. When Hootie and the Blowfish had an audit done on sales of their mega-multi-platinum debut album, they found that three million copies had been sold through Columbia House and they didn't get a penny for any of them.

The record clubs could be a real bargain for the customers, but they were completely exploitive of the artists. Musicians received no income from record club sales.

I assume that's why club pressings were always clearly marked as such and also why you never saw Pink Floyd, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones offered.

I assume that's why club pressings were always clearly marked as such and also why you never saw Pink Floyd, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones offered.

You can include Michael Jackson in that list ... almost. They did offer Thriller and Off The Wall, but only as a selection of the month ... then it was gone the next month. Too bad those reels were 3 3/4.

Record stores hated the record clubs. My local record store gave credit towards new CD purchases if you traded in old ones, but they docked you for record club CDs. There were also some rumblings about record club CD's being inferior to standard issue CD's. But I would suspect that this was just sour grapes, and that they all used the same pressing plants / master tapes.

There were also some rumblings about record club CD's being inferior to standard issue CD's. But I would suspect that this was just sour grapes, and that they all used the same pressing plants / master tapes.

Everything I ever got from the Columbia Record Club was shipped from either Terre Haute, Indiana or Santa Maria, California...which both just happened to be where major Columbia pressing plants were located. Columbia pressed a lot of product for other labels (not just record club pressings). I have a hard time believing that the rights holders and labels would say "Sure, press up some crap and put our names all over it!"

Streaming and downloading--along with an aging audience less interested in actual media--made the demise of not only record stores and other such outlets inevitable, but the record clubs, too. It's interesting to note the full circle nature of how another type of sound carrier made a club obsolete, given that, when the clubs began back in the early '60s, who cried foul, concerned that Columbia, Capitol and RCA would cut into their profits? Record store owners, of course! (who were, ironically, being sold the label's product at an average cost similar to that of any club member who fulfilled the basics of their initial agreement). Eventually the labels/clubs won out, probably because those three were THE BIG 3 of record companies and had the resources and clout to get away with cutting out distributors AND retailers, operating a separate club division which must have, in its heyday, yielded very nice profits.

I became a CRC (Columbia) member in 1969 and, off and on, rejoined through the '90s (something that was built into the club matrix was that it was logical to fulfill that agreement, leave, and then rejoin--again and again. When CD's took over I probably built about 25% of my collection on some of the nice goodies the clubs offered, often at truly low and appealing prices, including not only regular catalog items but some that you didn't always find in your local or major city outlet, even. So that was a big bonus.

On the vinyl end--once a hound, always a hound, heh--the labels pressed selected titles as of 1988/89 and beyond on vinyl, some of which were never issued at the store retail level. Eventually they gave that up (the clubs also made selected 8-track titles until giving up, at least a year beyond when the stores did) but despite limited selection, it was fun to get adventurous with titles that cost anywhere from $1-3 on sale; even 'regular' releases on CD might only be $10, still under what you paid at most stores.

Judging by what I see in thrifts these days, more and more CD's (and a lot of DVD's) are turning up dirt cheap, and even the better used retailers aren't gouging much. But vinyl is alive and well, and I don't doubt CD's and higher end media will stay around for some time to come. But the clubs are gone, understandable in a world about iPhones, pads, and everyone gazing into a little screen, with seemingly no time for much of anything else, and no time for the rest of us in a very private world.

ED :)

Gouging is alive and well at FYE. Trade-in values are like, well, giving to a charity.

Back