Component Video Switch

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova74

Hello,
Hope this is the right place to ask this.
I have a HDTV and it only has 2 component video inputs. Well, with the addition of the new hd cable box, I now need a third input. My question is can I use a regular av switch for this purpose? All my audio goes to the receiver through optical cables, so I think I could use the 3 RCA inputs on the switch (L, R and composite video) for switching of my component sources. A switch is a switch, right?
Now I know there are probably expensive pieces of equipment made to do this but the regular av switch will only cost me around $10. This is really only sort of a bandaide until I purchase my next generation DVD player (still waiting for prices to drop and hopefully a universal player to come along). Then the DVD player will use HDMI anyway which will open up another input on the TV eliminating the need for a switch.
Thanks, and I hope I was clear enough.
Ryan

Sounds like you don't want to spend alot, but I just got one of these Zektor switchers:
http://www.zektor.com/hds41/index.html
and it works great. I use it for all my 5.1 audio sources. It can be programmed to work with my Harmony 880 also (one button-macro type of switching). They are also coming out with an 8 pin unit (for 7.1 audio!) soon. You can find them priced reasonably if you search the internet.

Lonster

Sounds like you don't want to spend alot, but I just got one of these Zektor switchers:
http://www.zektor.com/hds41/index.html
and it works great. I use it for all my 5.1 audio sources. It can be programmed to work with my Harmony 880 also (one button-macro type of switching). They are also coming out with an 8 pin unit (for 7.1 audio!) soon. You can find them priced reasonably if you search the internet.

Lonster

Where did you get yours?? I seem to only find them for 260.00. I just can't fit that in my budget.

Spence

I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FCT2CK/ref=pd_cp_e_title/002-1537000-4944068?ie=UTF8

Someone more technical than me can answer the question, but I can't see it making a big difference using your A/V switcher..

A composite audio/video switcher won't likely be able to adequately handle the bandwidth of component HDTV. I don't know all of them would be limited, but the requirements for composite audio/video is significantly less so unless the specifications indicate ability to handle HDTV, I assume it doesn't. My Yamaha receivers indicate 10MHz limits for composite switching and 60MHz for component switching. I recall reading 720p requires 37MHz and although I don't recall the 1080i requirement, it is well above 10MHz and less than 60MHz as well. I don't know about 1080p component video switching but I am assuming I will use HDMI if I ever own a display that can accept 1080p video.

The RCA switcher linked indicates HDTV but I didn't see the specifications to know for sure it won't noticeably degrade the HDTV signal. I would assume ability to handle 40MHz would be acceptable for 720p/1080i although many HDTV switchers indicate 100MHz limits.

Chris

Back