HiRez Poll Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
The reason I wish we had a S.W. mix is I don't think any of the surround versions best the original stereo or the Glover remix and I'm not a purist, I most always favor a surround mix.
I like the Atmos mix best. I've listened to it more than any other album since its release. Probably listen again later tonight after an Animals walkthrough. Warming up with some Camel now.

I find it hard to return to this mix at times due to the amount of compression and perhaps EQing used during the creation of the Atmos mix. It's not an issue of loudness or abrasion, but rather, I feel it dilutes the strong tone of the instrumentation present in the mix. I also find that the kickdrum also gets lost amongst the band, which is one of the most important elements of the drum kit.

One thing I will say though: this mix is NOT a pointless one. Amongst two quad mixes, two previous stereo mixes (and the third new Zappa stereo mix), and the 5.1 mix, there was a palpable danger coming into this release that the Atmos mix would be another to throw atop the pile, with arguments about its quality amounting to the fringes of how this or that element is panned in the surround sound field. Instead, it's extremely playful, with instruments filling out the surround sound space. It's distinctly unlike how we heard the album before due to such adventurousness, with a few new mix elements to boot (like adding the scream to the end of "Highway Star").

On principle, I'm absolutely for presenting an album in a radically new way. With the original mix sounding as good as it does, a Steven Wilson "tweak this here and there" approach is absolutely not what I would have liked for this release. Zappa had something new to say with his stereo and Atmos mixes of Machine Head, and I'm glad he was able to say it.

The Atmos mix of Machine Head will probably go down as the most contentious surround sound mix of 2024. While I personally have issues with this mix, its level of ambition is a prime example of what will push the art of surround sound mixing forward for the days to come.

Last edited:
For me, this Atmos mix is a major disappointment. No matter how much I turn up the volume, this mix takes the Deep Purple out of Deep Purple.

The edginess is gone. The singing guitar solos. The crisp percussion. The ringing vocals. Everything is toned down in a way I don't like, and not fitting for this hard hitting classic rock album. I expected much more because of the SACD quad version, which has everything I find missing from the Atmos mix.

IMHO - This is one example of an Atmos mix where "more" somehow ended up being less.

I find it hard to return to this mix at times due to the amount of compression and perhaps EQing used during the creation of the Atmos mix. It's not an issue of loudness or abrasion, but rather, I feel it dilutes the strong tone of the instrumentation present in the mix. I also find that the kickdrum also gets lost amongst the band, which is one of the most important elements of the drum kit.

One thing I will say though: this mix is NOT a pointless one. Amongst two quad mixes, two previous stereo mixes (and the third new Zappa stereo mix), and the 5.1 mix, there was a palpable danger coming into this release that the Atmos mix would be another to throw atop the pile, with arguments about its quality amounting to the fringes of how this or that element is panned in the surround sound field. Instead, it's extremely playful, with instruments filling out the surround sound field. It's distinctly unlike how we heard the album before due to such adventurousness, with a few new mix elements to boot (like adding the scream to the end of "Highway Star").

On principle, I'm absolutely for presenting an album in a radically new way. With the original mix sounding as good as it does, a Steven Wilson "tweak this here and there" approach is absolutely not what I would have liked for this release. Zappa had something new to say with his stereo and Atmos mixes of Machine Head, and I'm glad he was able to say it.

The Atmos mix of Machine Head will probably go down as the most contentious surround sound mix of 2024. While I personally have issues with this mix, its level of ambition is a prime example of what will push the art of surround sound mixing forward for the days to come.
What do you think of the US quad mix as it appears on this BR?

I've been listening to the two concerts for the first time today and the Montreux sure does leave a lot to be desired. The first song screaming the names of old 50's songs is a headscratcher, but I find the sound is pretty bad overall. The disc 2 concert is pretty good but surprisingly short.

Back