DTS-CD Demultiplexing a DTS WAV file - can it be done?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jfquad

Having carried out a few DVD DD5.1 to DTS 5.1 conversions via individual WAV files, I am regularly frustrated that I cannot reverse the process, i.e. demultiplex the DTS signal into its 6 (or 5, or even 4!) original mono WAVs. The software to do this is obviously not commercially available, but there must be some routines somewhere that can do it, or PowerDVD wouldn't work!

:|

Can anyone succesfully demux a DTS WAV file before it becomes separate analogue channels? If so, I wanna know how!

Any ideas/comments appreciated.

JF

I too have wondered about that very same problem. But I too have no answer for it either, and would also like a solution to this very perpleximg question! What goes up must come down! What goes in must come out! Sort of...!:mad:

If you are going to record the 6 analog signals from a DTS 5.1 signal you have to do it after decoding. To this date I don't know of any software that will demux all DTS tracks to mono wave files. Maybe someone else does, but I don't know of one. If you want to do it after decoding then that's a horse of a differnet color and there are lots of obvious and some not so obvious ways to do that.

QM

Hmmm... I thought this would be a tough one... it looks like I have two choices, then:

1) To record the output from front and rear separately via the output jacks...

2) Use something like "Total Recorder" to intercept the decoded signal from PowerDVD, but it seems difficult to get both the front AND rear information.

What we need is somebody to reverse engineer the DTS decoding routines in PowerDVD, come up with a decent GUI interface and we're away....

JF

What I'd like to do is pull the d.t.s. wave from , say a dvd-v and leave the wave the way it is . I'm not concerned about the break down to mono tracks , you'd have to put them back anyway , unless your interested in the mono tracks for some reason? I've done a few via the anolouge out but that takes forever and then you have re-encode them, and I've also done the same with M.L.P out to anolouge 5.1 on a few DVD-A. Long Drawn Out Pain In The Butt!

I use my SONY SACD player and utilizing the internal DTS decoder, I get the mono 4/5/6 channels out the 6 channel analog outputs on the back. I can feed these into the PC just as if I were doing a Q8 or SACD.

Of course, this is done in real time. I have done it once or twice to clean up an early conversion that I did where I no longer have the mono wav files.

:-jon

@ JF: thanks for moving the topic here - I think it is of interest to quite a few.

@ all: Maybe only borderline related, but I mention it anyhow: I started to use DTS for my homemade DVD-R's (for adding nice music to my personal mini-DV). Problem is that DVD-authoring SW only accepts 48kHz, and DTS-audio other than extracted from DVD's is 44.1kHz.

What do to ? COnversion (i.e. ssrc) to 48 won't work of course. But opening the 44.1 in an editor, and saving as 48kHt wav without conversion is possible (i.e. only the header having the 'info' for 48kHz).

having done this, DVD-authoring-SW (such as Mastro or Scenarist) will accept the file. Playback via receiver works fine.

As I said: only slightly related to the topic, and not clean-solution, but until we have a good quick solution demux, this works for me.

Regards,

Andreas

But opening the 44.1 in an editor, and saving as 48kHt wav without conversion is possible (i.e. only the header having the 'info' for 48kHz).

Most interesting aproach to get d.t.s. in to a non audio dvd. So it plays back O.K. !? Hmm! I'll have to look into this !

:cool:

@ Allaroundsurround :

It works just great (DVD player connected to Amp via optical of course). The method was originally posted in Doom9's board ( forum.doom9.org/showthrea...adid=30443 ).

If you want to put a lot of audio on a DVD-R, I guess you could use it (just add a still instead a movie in the authoring-SW).

Regards,

Andreas

I just came across some thing that might demux d.t.s. Not 100% sure have to install it and read the info-
e-mail me for it.
[email protected]

Well it wont demux d.t.s. but it will extract it ! Oh well , not a total waste !

Quote:
--------------------
But opening the 44.1 in an editor, and saving as 48kHt wav without conversion is possible (i.e. only the header having the 'info' for 48kHz).
--------------------

It seems to me the wav file so produced will play 10% too fast...

@ pe1dna:

You are right ... :-(
I was so excited that it works (ahm: seemed to work), that I didn't carefully listen, but it plays faster (and is also shortened in the info-window of the DVD-authoring SW).

I wouldn't have posted it if I noticed before - sorry.

Regards,

Andreas

Can't you just resample it at 44.1? That's how you convert a DVD rip!

>Can't you just resample it at 44.1? That's how you
>convert a DVD rip!

Resampling is a thing that is done in the analog domain.

A DTS (or DD for that matter) wav file is not an audio signal, but a compressed data stream. Resampling would only corrupt the data, what is left is a big pile of binary rubbish.

Oh, I am confused. I thought you demuxed a DTS wav file into 4 (5 or 6) unencoded wav files that were at 48kHz.

Back