did anyone see this

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from a forum. The fellow who issued the ripper spoke. So someone in Brazil did break it! Or did he just rip the DD stream.

DoIFeelLucky
user_offline.gif

ghetto astronaut
62.62 GB/84.15 GB/1.34

TTD Trader

first ever DVD-Audio ripper
That's right. This supposedly unrippable audio format, which delivers high-resolution (24/96) lossless multichannel audio, can now be ripped digitally to a hard drive. The process is crude and inelegant, but hey, that's how it was in the early days of DVD-ripping.

Thread in Doom9's forums

Quote:
I just uploaded to RareWares a tool that enables WinDVD owners to rip full quality DVD-Audio tracks encrypted with CPPM.

It does so by launching/patching WinDVD 5/6/7 and redirecting the stream to disk instead of the sound card after decryption.
Announcement & discussion on Hydrogenaudio forums

Find the necessary tools at the bottom of this page over at RareWares.

I know that this isn't really useful for getting a source for TTD, but I figured that some people here might be interested in backing up DVD-As to their hard drive. This is just pretty big news.

“I should have said television is more popular than Jesus; then I might have got away with it.”
- John Lennon

post_old.gif
07-07-05, 10:21 PM
DoIFeelLucky
user_offline.gif

ghetto astronaut
62.62 GB/84.15 GB/1.34

TTD Trader

Re: first ever DVD-Audio ripper
Wow. That was fast; it's gone now.

From Doom9:
Quote:
...and it's gone

I got a phone call from a big local lawyer office (no fake, I checked the caller ID and the phone number really belongs to a lawyer office). They have been hired to make me stop distributing the DVD-A tools. It was a reasonably big talk, but I can summarize it with

They: we are giving you two choices, either you remove all references to those tools from your site now, or we'll have to take you to court.

Me: I'm already removing!

They: Thank-you for your cooperation.

Oh, well. It's been fun. I'm amazed at how well it spread in these two days (!), and I'm sure from now on you'll be able to find those tools in countless mirrors, p2p and the like.

Shine on!

R.
Interestingly, the guy who was hosting the tools lives in Brazil and he was hosting them on a Brazilian server. Brazil doesn't have the DMCA or similar IP laws that the U.S. has, yet no matter where you are in the world, money and lawyers will usually win the day.

Peace.

Tad,
DVD Audio extractor simply extracts audio from standard DVD's and not DVD-Audio. I have the product and it works well for its intended application.

Malcolm

Tad,
DVD Audio extractor simply extracts audio from standard DVD's and not DVD-Audio. I have the product and it works well for its intended application.

Malcolm

Malcolm
ya have to do the reading. Says it was out 2 days then pulled.

I have used these tools and they do work. I think that DVDFab also will do the same thing now and is easier. However, the big problem is that the watermark remains. So, you can rip and burn copies, but you can't play them - they play for about 30 sec and then silence after the player picks up the watermark.

The CCPM is beatable, it's the Watermark that is not. So, if you want to make a DTS or DD CD, you're OK. Try and make a DVD-A and you're out of luck if your player looks for the watermark.

DVDFab will break the CPPM, then use DVD-A Explorer to open the DVD-Audio iso you've created and you can extract each track as an mlp file or as 6 wav files. The watermark still exists, so the files will only play on a dvd player which doesn't honor the watermark such as some powerdvd versions and some dvd players. What I've been doing is with the dvd-audio discs I own which only have a dolby digital track is rip the 6 wav's and then encode them to dts. The watermark is still there, but dvd players don't look for them in the Video_TS folder enabling you to have dts instead of only dolby digital. It's getting easier to back up dvd-audio, but there's still no way to get around the watermark (except using a player which doesn't look for it).

edit: there's several new versions of dvd-a explorer out now which will let you do mlp, wav's and flac

Of course, Dolby Digital is a very compressed format, so by ripping DD and then re-encoding as DTS (also a lossy format), you're listening to the equivalent of a 4th-generation master. Not saying I have a better solution, just saying that's a lot of missing bits.

DVDFab will break the CPPM, then use DVD-A Explorer to open the DVD-Audio iso you've created and you can extract each track as an mlp file or as 6 wav files. The watermark still exists, so the files will only play on a dvd player which doesn't honor the watermark such as some powerdvd versions and some dvd players. What I've been doing is with the dvd-audio discs I own which only have a dolby digital track is rip the 6 wav's and then encode them to dts. The watermark is still there, but dvd players don't look for them in the Video_TS folder enabling you to have dts instead of only dolby digital. It's getting easier to back up dvd-audio, but there's still no way to get around the watermark (except using a player which doesn't look for it).

edit: there's several new versions of dvd-a explorer out now which will let you do mlp, wav's and flac

Up to Alpha 12 now.
AFAIK, the only way to get around the watermark (I have tried this & it works) is to encode the WAV files to DTS-HD Master Audio.
That's an expensive system though at $1500, but you do get a streamplayer too - so as long as you have a setup like Cai's "Quad House" and can stream the music off a central server, it's not much of a fix.
Better than nothing though - at least I can now back up my DVD-A collection.

AFAIK, the only way to get around the watermark (I have tried this & it works) is to encode the WAV files to DTS-HD Master Audio.

Or you can use a player that doesn't look for the watermark such as the Oppo 980H or certain versions of Powerdvd for computer playback.
Curious, by encoding to DTS-HD MA would this allow for playback on an authored blu-ray disc, or do the players see the watermark and stop playback?

Or you can use a player that doesn't look for the watermark such as the Oppo 980H or certain versions of Powerdvd for computer playback.
Curious, by encoding to DTS-HD MA would this allow for playback on an authored blu-ray disc, or do the players see the watermark and stop playback?

Can't get Oppo players in the UK - don't know why.
Don't know about PowerDVD either.
As far as the last question goes, the answer is a tentative "probably - assuming you can actually find one of the nasty, stripped-back consumer BD-R applications that actually supports DTS-HD MAS.
Encore certainly doesn't.

On avsforum I see people from the UK ordering the Oppo, it has PAL playback and can be made region free by entering a code. With the exchange rate right now, it may be an option. Just went to amazon.co.uk and the oppo 980H is listed at 149. The newest firmware just came out with better PAL playback plus new support for bass management on 96khz dvd-video and dvd-audio sources. But for me the killer was beign able to use hdmi for dvd-audio/sacd along with playback of my homemade dvd-a mixes ignoring the watermark.

I was sent one of these copied DVD-A's using one of these programs, I don't have a clue which one, just because I discuss Oppo players a lot at various forums. I can confirm, my Denon DVD-2910 shuts down after 30 seconds or so and my Oppo DV-980H plays the disc in its entirety, and is recognized as DVD-A and for the brief period I played with it, the menus and everything else seemed to function properly.

Chris

Hey Neal, you can check for a Sigmatek xm400 pro. It shares same Mediatek chip of the Oppo.

Aren't there a number of players using that Mediatek chip that honor the watermark? If it as simple as using a player with the Mediatek MPEG decoder, like the MT1389FE, then there should be quite a few more not made by Oppo that will not honor the watermark. I think Pioneer, Onkyo, LG and Cambridge Audio are a few of the others that use Mediatek with some models. The Pioneer DV-600AV is one universal I model I have seen reported to use it.

Chris

Back