Discrete 5.1 vs. Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhess1958

What are preferences Discrete 5.1 vs. Dolby Atmos? I know some feel Atmos should be more discreet - which is not to be expected (seeing notes about what is in the front/rear height speakers). Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:
Assuming by "discreet" (discrete) you mean the distinct placement of an instrument or a sound in a specific point in space, 5.1 can only achieve this in a horizontal plane - either directly in one of the 5 speakers, or by imaging between speakers. By adding Atmos height speakers, you now have the ability to place a distinct sound anywhere in an invisible dome by imaging using any combination of the speakers around you and/or above you. There are many examples of Atmos mixes that do this effectively, elevating a discrete mix into the 3-dimensional space around and above you.

It is very true that there are many 5.1 (and 4.0 for that matter) mixes that blow away many Atmos mixes, but that is due to the mixing choices made by the mixers and the fidelity of the material they are working with. For example, the 5.1 mix of Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms is far better than the corresponding Atmos mixes of the same tracks (different mixers / different choices). But all else being equal, I prefer Atmos over 5.1 (for example, when Steven Wilson does both a 5.1 mix and an Atmos mix of the same material).

But all else being equal, I prefer Atmos over 5.1 (for example, when Steven Wilson does both a 5.1 mix and an Atmos mix of the same material).
For the first few of Atmos projects he did (The Future Bites, Gentle Giant's Free Hand, Kiss' Destroyer - all released in 2021) I preferred the 5.1 mix, but for everything issued in 2022 & onward the Atmos mixes have been more enjoyable for me. I think it's great he continues to deliver the dedicated 5.1 mixes though.

For the first few of Atmos projects he did (The Future Bites, Gentle Giant's Free Hand, Kiss' Destroyer - all released in 2021) I preferred the 5.1 mix, but for everything issued in 2022 & onward the Atmos mixes have been more enjoyable for me. I think it's great he continues to deliver the dedicated 5.1 mixes though.
I have the first 2 of those, and am getting the Destroyer box delivered tomorrow (Amazon Prime Day deal), but so far have only listened to the Atmos mixes. I will have to do my own comparison of the 5.1 to the Atmos.

Assuming by "discreet" (discrete) you mean the distinct placement of an instrument or a sound in a specific point in space, 5.1 can only achieve this in a horizontal plane - either directly in one of the 5 speakers, or by imaging between speakers. By adding Atmos height speakers, you now have the ability to place a distinct sound anywhere in an invisible dome by imaging using any combination of the speakers around you and/or above you. There are many examples of Atmos mixes that do this effectively, elevating a discrete mix into the 3-dimensional space around and above you.

It is very true that there are many 5.1 (and 4.0 for that matter) mixes that blow away many Atmos mixes, but that is due to the mixing choices made by the mixers and the fidelity of the material they are working with. For example, the 5.1 mix of Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms is far better than the corresponding Atmos mixes of the same tracks (different mixers / different choices). But all else being equal, I prefer Atmos over 5.1 (for example, when Steven Wilson does both a 5.1 mix and an Atmos mix of the same material).
Good Stuff. Facinating. =)

Regarding the misuse of the word "discreet" for the mixing style, remember this picture:

1689324656548.png

Corrected. Sorry, spell check sometimes works against you...

Last edited:
Back