Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray (and Streaming)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atmos is a wonderful idea. I'm all for it after reading how it works, but, you'll need a whole new setup. New AVR, new speakers for the top and of course BD that has the Atmos information in it. None yet for consumers. Then there is streaming, we have yet to see lossless audio associated with it, At least 5.1, and this has yet to come to reality.
I see it like this, with all the old formats, having to buy the equipment to decode it, enough is enough. I imagine a new BD player will be required also.
I must have spent close to a couple $k in equipment, and I'm tired of it. If most people can't get what is available now,( In terms of understanding and setup) what will become of this? in home use?

Atmos only flaw is no below surround channels for creating realistic approach of films such as rain effects.

Rain is generally heard on the ground outside. If it was out in wide open field the sound of the rain depends on how soft or hard its coming down.

Around trees it would be heard on the branches and leafs and the ground.

At the seashore the waves would be at lower angle as standing near while waves flow around your feet some 5 feet below our ears we, recognize it coming from below not 6 feet up where are matched LCR stage channels are placed.

If at further distance away from the shore we would hear it, about middle height or at stage LCR height. As we walk nearer the sound changes.

I already have enough speakers to start off with this Atmos, that now depends on the AVR cost and the RCA output support so I can choice my own amplifiers for the room and speakers cost.

It would be no doubt at most smaller bookshelf would be the choice for homes that are miles smaller than large cinemas. Well some cinemas "boothless" ones are small unused rooms converted to "boothless."

Seems that the content of films has even exceeded Sony SDDS 8 with only 200 titles and thou SDDS isn't in the same league that was different format over the rest of Dolby/dts 5.1 and SDDS 6 channel from 1993 -2007, 8 channel SDDS soon started to fade away sadly.

Atmos only been out a few years now and with soon coming up to 300 titles not everyone will want to buy Atmos films on bluray, myself included as lot of them just don't appeal to me.

I'll be waiting a few years for the prices to drop down as they usually do and then I'll buy and who knows maybe a better list of films to chose form then?

My ceiling has x4 JBL control 5 fitted to it and at least x8 side wall and rear wall surrounds covered with JBL control 1 and x4 for below matrix expansion surround that I occasionally switch on for some 5.1 / 7.1 films. x2 sub bass extension surrounds x1 LFE.1 at the front and x3 JBL control 12SR all connected to Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System (crossover) and few more subs for LCR bass extension and x6 Dayton Puck's that are fitted into the seat buckets of my Irwin rocker seats that give a bit of simmering shuddering vibration feel.

There are new speakers (by Pioneer among others) that have upside firing capabilities for Atmos (bouncing off the ceiling, a la soundbar).

You must not have extra speakers, every thing beyond 5.1 is still optional. You will probably not gain much in that case.
The Atmos thing is more geared towards cinemas, but I suppose a consumer version will help to establish the name.

You must not have extra speakers, every thing beyond 5.1 is still optional. You will probably not gain much in that case.
The Atmos thing is more geared towards cinemas, but I suppose a consumer version will help to establish the name.

Thank goodness for that! I was thinking I might have to emulate this setup otherwise.. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 95
People will jump into this, with the knowledge that DTS also has a system and is most likely better then the Dolby. Most BD are DTS MA anyway now. Then to achieve the effect, you really do need more speakers. These are reported to be included with the system?
My take: Me personally I've gone through a shit load of AVR's, In the beginning it was a Sony with matrix surround. No internet to tell me I was on the wrong track-then a Dolby AVR, then a pro-logic AVR- Now here comes dvd so now on to ac-3, or DD. Another AVR for DD. That lasted into BD it had 5.1 analog input, until HDMI came along and 3 AVR's now. the 1st 2 not up to par and no HDMI, until now, when I bought the "beast" That should cover me until (what next?) but! I will NOT follow the lemming trail of AVR's any further. In the beginning it cost an avg. of $800.00 per, until I began buying used. And have very good luck this way. This SOB I have now was only $150.00! And it's the tits!
I say enough! If I was to add anything it will be the surround master, and no more with the AVR's. New HDMI spec, new soundfields- It's a rich guys hobby, not for poor bastards like me.

Back