DTS-CD DTS driving me nuts !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi Guys,

hope you can help on this one.

I've downloaded a couple of converts from the web (Band on the run, Atom Heart mother and Cash at San quentin).

If I use videolan (VLC) to play them I get different results ranging from perfect playback to the DTS his. If I click on the .cue file it seems to be ok, but not the .wav.

With BOTR whatever I do I get DTS hiss.

So I thought I'd try to burn a CD and see what happended. I burnt BOTR using imageburn. I had to reboot the PC to get it to stop !

However I thought I'd see how it might play. As expected WMP just hisses, but VLC will play all the tracks other than the first one which just hisses.

There seems to be so many things wrong here that I must be missing something fundemental.

So if someone could ask me the right questions or offer some advice I'd be very grateful

Try Foobar2000 for dts playback, latest vlc releases gave me many headaches.

I agree. Foobar2000 will resolve all those issues in either 1 or 2 steps depending on the original file status. You have a mixture of file formats working against you.

I tried foobar (after installing the dts add on which seems just to involve copyig the dts dll into the components folder ) and I still get DTS hiss.
I've got some "commercial" DTS CD's. I'll have a play with these tonight
thanks fior looking

Try this. Load the file that hisses into Foobar. Press "STOP" so you don't hear the hiss (its distracting). Right click on the file and select "convert." Choose .wav as the output type and ensure the dts converter is enabled in the DSP table. Then convert. The resulting file should be a multichannel dts.wav that plays music instead of hiss.

George,
Thanks for that, I have split the files up using foobar 2000. With VLC I can play everything other than band on the run.wav (Jet sounds excellent though!). However nothing plays at all in foobar 2000. I've got the dts dll (foo_input_dts.dll) in the components directory and foobar does pick it. Is there anything I else I have to do ??
I've downloaded the DTS spec and I've estabished that in the duff tracks do seem to have valid DTS frame headers, so my search continues.
Sorted it, Foobar seems to need .dtswav rather than just .wav, changed the extention and the lovely band on the run now plays !
thanks foryour help guys

Might want to make sure that in file/preferences/playback/output the proper output device is selected. I don't believe I ever had to set mine to other than the default though. Glad you got the file(s) to play.

Say, is your dts plugin in the "active DSP" side of the table or the "available DSP" side? You can check in file/preferences/playback/DSP manager.

George ! your a genius !,
it wasn't active , so I moved it into the active columns and it plays all my .wav's perfectly!
Again thanks for that

Back