DTS-CD DTS - "lossy"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, test results!
DTS full rate vs 16/48 FLAC (for fairness) of track 20 of album 3 (partially mixed and unmastered)

I immediately notice blurring due to the complexity of sound about 1 minute 30 seconds in on the DTS track...the faint synth is less discrete
The fine detailing on the guitar's distortion seems to be affected too because of the blurring in the same instance
When the pan drum and hits kick in at about 2 minutes in there is absolutely some resolution loss of some kind, more than I was expecting.

Here's samples for reference lmk what it sounds like on your guys systems (two flac files, one is converted from the DTS, the other is downsampled from the 24/96)

Attachments

• flac.flac
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • dts.flac
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
I've found recordings with higher dynamic ranges are those that suffer more from lossy compression. You try to encode a jazz or classical release to lossy and compare, the lossy will crap the bed. The higher the complexity, the worse the lossy codec will sound.
Pretty sure I've noticed this too. I imagine the lossy algorithms are tuned into average radio friendly commercial music. Something overly dynamic starts to confuse it. If you really want this effect to stand out, take a live field recording (like an audience bootleg) and mp3 it. So many main elements of the original sound are buried dynamically in a challenged recording like that that it really throws the system.

Back to dts2496 or Atmos.
Of course lossless is preferred especially with seemingly unlimited storage now. That's just simple. I've got to say though that while I'm usually quickly distracted by generation loss artifacts, these are getting past my bs detector. Perhaps if I heard enough original files (which isn't possible) something would be revealed? The crap I've heard wildly altered from tape and vinyl though... Modern times are good!

Back