DTS-CD dts wav

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

svenzik

I downloaded an album, which contained dts wav files. I burned them on to a cd-rw and played it with WinDVD. It works fine, when WinDVD decodes the cd, but when I put the output to spdif, then my receiver understands that the source is dts 3/2, but the noise that comes out of the speakers does't sound like a music to me(it's not static noise, it's rather somethin in between).
And, can I play the wav on my hd with some player or decode/encode them to something else wav, ac3...

It's sounds like your sound card may be up sampling what sound card are you using and no to trying to change the format unless you re record and encode it into AC3 but then d.t.s. is still better than AC3 Give me/use some more info !
0] Rob

for dts cd, which are sampled at 44.1, spdif out with a soundcard can be quite a mess. many sound cards, Creative for example, have the bad habit to resample everything at 48.
A good, fast and cheap solution is to connect the receiver to the DIGITAL OUT of your cd rom drive *WITH* a very simple circuit (two resistor and a capacitor) that lower the signal. CDROM drives have the digital out at TTL level, while SPDIF is lower.
I'm using this way by years and never had a problem with all three DTS-capable components i have.
Don't have the schematic handy now, as soon as i find it i'll post it in some way.

yep, I have SB 5.1 Live! soundcard which is connected with digital output to my Sony sdr-de445 reciever, which supports decoding of dts/Dolby digital. I have succeeded playing ac3 files with Creative PlayCenter and GraphEdit, so that the reciever decodes them.
and to winopener, can I change the resample of the soundcard, so it would be 44.1(I mean with software).

Unfortunately, digital out sample (afaik) is *fixed* at 48KHz for creative cards, so no wonder why ac3, which is normally 48, pass without problems while dts cd are screwed up.

If you want to build the simple digital out TTL 2 Spdif, here it is

TTL + -------R1-------C------ + spdif out
|
R2
|
GND -------------------------- GND

where R1= 330 ohm; R2 = 100 ohm; C = 0,1 mF
Capacitor is a Film type.

So basicly, if the dts would be 48KHz, it would work. And is there a way to convert dts wav -> ac3 or DD wav(and with what) or play the wav from the harddisk.
And thanks.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>So basicly, if the dts would be 48KHz, it would work. And is there a way to convert dts wav -> ac3 or DD wav(and with what) or play the wav from the harddisk.[/quote]
Not without re doing the audio and resampling it in dvd formatamd encoding it
The easiest way to do it is with the adapter that is on the page above . on the back of your cd drive is a small 2 pin plug for digital out ... put the above very easy to make adapter in line from this point out to the litle adapter and put an rca female at the end and plug a video cable 75 ohm type rca type to this then to the receiver or out board decoder and it will play straight from the cd drive to the receiver and ....d.t.s. simple and you can get it all at radio shack cheap....

check this page for more info about spdif<a href="http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html" target="top">www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html</a>

0] Rob

Back