DualDiscs - I was afraid of this.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
http://www.dvd4music.com/cgi-bin/onlineshop?request=display&file=5&bytes=0This is an absolute bloody disgrace! Why, oh why is a DualDisc containing CD on one side and DVD-V on the other side, IE multichannel mixes in Dolby Digital, being sold as DVD-Audio?

The words "sale of goods act" and "Trade Descriptions act" come to mind here.
I smell Sony - does anyone know what the label in question is here?

If you mean Reality, I already have one of these, and yes, it's DD - not DVD-A.

Did you expect anything less when Sony are involved. (n)
In at the start to try and water down the format, then the hardware side of the company recommend you dont use Dual disc in their hardware as the CD side is out of Spec and might damage your player!! :(

I will have to check them out again this weekend but, iirc, the few I've tried have both a DD and a real DVD-A track, albeit not a very high bit-rate one.

Kal

neil wilkes said:
http://www.dvd4music.com/cgi-bin/onlineshop?request=display&file=5&bytes=0This is an absolute bloody disgrace! Why, oh why is a DualDisc containing CD on one side and DVD-V on the other side, IE multichannel mixes in Dolby Digital, being sold as DVD-Audio?

The words "sale of goods act" and "Trade Descriptions act" come to mind here.
I smell Sony - does anyone know what the label in question is here?

Maybe it's just listed in the wrong place. I assume you're talking about the David Bowie 'Reality' album. If you read further it clearly states: 'DualDisc: The CD-side contains the album, whereas the DVD-side is a DVD-Video in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.'

Any reasonable person should be able to see that it is not a DVD-Audio disc.

Lee Perry said:
Maybe it's just listed in the wrong place. I assume you're talking about the David Bowie 'Reality' album. If you read further it clearly states: 'DualDisc: The CD-side contains the album, whereas the DVD-side is a DVD-Video in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.'

Any reasonable person should be able to see that it is not a DVD-Audio disc.

A point, and I do like to give retailers the benefit of the doubt, as a good 99% are simply ignorant.
But I'm with Neil on this one. Ignorance is not an excuse when you're selling a product. The poor mug buying it shouldn't have to check every square inch of packaging and miniscule small-print to discover something that contradicts what it's already stated above. This sort of thing, if it continues, is going to backfire at a rate of knots.

Back