Dual Disc DualDiscs may end up as the "winner"!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy Robinson said:
Agreed and that can cause a lot of confusion. But in this case I believe that the full content is there.

Great. My intense dissatisfaction with DualDisc is due, primarily, to the variability of format content and the lack of information about that content. If one knows what one is getting, fine.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
Great. My intense dissatisfaction with DualDisc is due, primarily, to the variability of format content and the lack of information about that content. If one knows what one is getting, fine.

Kal

I hear you! While I was there I also saw Shangri-La by Mark Knopfler there and it said CD/DVD combination. I left it because I couldn't see a reference to DVD-A anywhere. Now after some research I find that the DVD referenced should be a DVD-A. What a pain. I am going to have to go back now.

Guy Robinson said:
So here is why DualDiscs will win if the current pricing strategy continues. I picked up the DualDisc yesterday of American Beauty at BestBuy. The reason why I picked up the DualDisc rather than the DVD-A was price. The DualDisc was $21.99 and the DVD-A was $30.99. With the DualDisc I also got the CD versions as well (obviously). So if this kind of pricing differential continues this is why Dual Disc will win. I am assuming that the hi-rez mix on the Dual Disc is the same as on the DVD-A. Also, what's with the pricing? A lot of the SACD and DVD-A titles at BestBuy have jumped in price over the past few weeks. Some by as much as $10.

I agree about the pricing. I buy a lot of surround of music i would not normally buy, just because it is surround and there isn't much new to choose from. But if the prices are going to be much over 20.00 apiece, i won't be as daring to try something i haven't heard before.
Now on the other hand, if it is something i know and like, i am willing to pay the high prices.

This could be a fine year for surround, if the Moodies and Steely discs come to fruition.

Right now, though, I can't for the life of me understand why so many Duals are 'enhanced stereo'(whatever that means), rather than multi-channel. Some catalog titles I can understand, but how does JLo miss surround? That would have been the only reason to buy for most of us, after all, the curiosity factor, if nothing else.

DD pricing is decent enough--just a buck more than redbook--but they gotta give us more than rap titles. The Judas Priest being stereo only was highly disappointing, can't see any reason for not putting that one out in multi....

ED

Guy Robinson said:
I hear you! While I was there I also saw Shangri-La by Mark Knopfler there and it said CD/DVD combination. I left it because I couldn't see a reference to DVD-A anywhere. Now after some research I find that the DVD referenced should be a DVD-A. What a pain. I am going to have to go back now.

So I went back and they all had a sticker that said "Including Limited Edition DVD with Interviews". So I left it there as surround was not mentioned. I don't know if this is the correct version or not and I am not taking a chance and buying it. Another lost sale due to possibly inadequate labelling. If this is another version than why are there so many @!&8%$#$^ versions!!!!!

JonUrban said:
Guys,

I posted a picture of the REAL DVD-A package in the HiRez poll section of this title. Check it out, this is the real thing with the DVD-A in it.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4390

Thanks. So there are 3 versions;
1) the CD
2) CD and limited edition DVD (with only interviews on it)
3) CD+ DVD-A

Maybe they should try to make it more confusing.

Guy Robinson said:
Thanks. So there are 3 versions;
1) the CD
2) CD and limited edition DVD (with only interviews on it)
3) CD+ DVD-A

Maybe they should try to make it more confusing.

Actually there are 4 versions of Shangri-La if you count the Surround Sound SACD that's available in Europe and from Acoustic Sounds in the U.S.

bmoura said:
Actually there are 4 versions of Shangri-La if you count the Surround Sound SACD that's available in Europe and from Acoustic Sounds in the U.S.

Only one version of the SACD? Imagine that!!!! If it were available here easily I would pick up the SACD as there would be no going wrong there.

No better when you open it up. The CD/DVD-A contains the booklet for the CD only (even has the release number for the CD). No mention of hi-res or surround, and no info about the folks who did the remix/remaster.

Sounds very nice, though.

radiodaddy said:
No better when you open it up. The CD/DVD-A contains the booklet for the CD only (even has the release number for the CD). No mention of hi-res or surround, and no info about the folks who did the remix/remaster.

Sounds very nice, though.

Is there a DVD-A Logo on the back of the box?

Back