EARS - "Cleaning" and Maintenance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
There are some good ideas in that article, Kirk. I am please to see that having Geddy Lee sing into ones ear isn't on the list.

I went to my PCP last week and I asked if he should de-wax my ears as he noted some buildup. He said no because the canals weren't blocked. I told him that I was a one of those bat shit crazy "audiophiles." He said to get one of those cleaning kits from the pharmacy. Note that plain vanilla medicare does not cover the procedure.

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 12.34.08 PM.png

Even though people have expressed horror at the notion, for my entire adult life I have just used Q tips. I have twitchy aggravating skin and before there is any hearing problem my ear canals start to itch if I don't keep them perfectly clean. Once or twice in the approximately 55 years I have been doing this I poked myself too hard but not bad enough to cause injury.

I do sort of object to the notion that you have to have a healthcare professional do everything for you. What will be next on the list of things you shouldn't do for yourself?? :rolleyes: 🤣

Earwax is okay as secretions that cause wax protect your ear from fungal and bacterial infections. Best left alone unless it plugs your ear canals. There are various DIY ways of cleaning dry wax plugs.

Oh, and stick with Part B Medicare. Please avoid Medicare (Dis)Advantage at all costs unless you love the wonderful world of private insurance that limits doctor choice and turns you down for many procedures that regular Medicare routinely covers.

My post was inspired by an ad I've seen recently (TV or YouTube) about some moderate pressure (water?) based ear wax removal system, it seemed kind of dangerous to me since the ear is such a delicate system.

Prior to reading these links, I thought that ear wax should be completely removed.

Kirk Bayne

I recall as a child I was experiencing hearing loss and my mother carted me off to our local family doctor and he removed literally gobs of ear wax from my ears.

Ever since then, I always make it a point to ask my doctor to check my ears for wax.....So far so good.

And the only thing growing in my ears is tiny cilia [hair, that is] as I take 10K mcg of Biotin every day ....and at least I still have a full head of hair!

I recall as a child I was experiencing hearing loss and my mother carted me off to our local family doctor and he removed literally gobs of ear wax from my ears.

Ever since then, I always make it a point to ask my doctor to check my ears for wax.....So far so good.

And the only thing growing in my ears is tiny cilia [hair, that is] as I take 10K mcg of Biotin every day ....and at least I still have a full head of hair!
I used to take Biotin for my fingernails (need them in good shape for playing nylon string guitar) and it did seem to help. Alas, did not save the hair on my head.

I used to take Biotin for my fingernails (need them in good shape for playing nylon string guitar) and it did seem to help. Alas, did not save the hair on my head.
Biotin is good for hair, nails and circulation. What dosage did you take? I upped it to 10,000 mcg about two years ago and except for some thinning in front, I do have a great head of hair for 76!

Genetically, they tell you to go by your mother's brothers ...... if they have hair at a ripe old age, you should as well. Wonder if that means if your mom has NO bros you'll be going bald?

Biotin is good for hair, nails and circulation. What dosage did you take? I upped it to 10,000 mcg about two years ago and except for some thinning in front, I do have a great head of hair for 76!
I actually don't remember the dosage, but my hair began thinning in my late forties so was probably always a lost cause. I do have plenty of hair on back and sides of head but little left on top -- classic male pattern baldness.

I actually don't remember the dosage, but my hair began thinning in my late forties so was probably always a lost cause. I do have plenty of hair on back and sides of head but little left on top -- classic male pattern baldness.
And believe me, high stress jobs contribute to hair loss as well. Even though mine was UBER stressful, I still managed to keep my hair.

Also, sporting long hair most of one's life also contributes to hair loss as it constantly pulls on the roots when brushing/combing. Did you ever wear your hair long as a musician?

Earwax is okay as secretions that cause wax protect your ear from fungal and bacterial infections. Best left alone unless it plugs your ear canals. There are various DIY ways of cleaning dry wax plugs.

Oh, and stick with Part B Medicare. Please avoid Medicare (Dis)Advantage at all costs unless you love the wonderful world of private insurance that limits doctor choice and turns you down for many procedures that regular Medicare routinely covers.
Sorry to get off topic Hafquark, but about the 2nd paragraph.. You are absolutely right. I'm in a plan C & it's a total pain.
I needed to go to a neuro ophthalmologist 😜a few years back & had to drive 140 miles, round trip, because that was the closest in 'their' plan...
Even though the ' Eye Institute' was within 10 miles of me....

Last edited:
My ears tickle when I get wax buildup. I use various things to clean them out (most not medically approved), and I’ve been doing that myself since adolescence with no repercussions, so I must be OK. I have them looked at when I see my doc, and she never notices any issues.

I don’t tell her about the nail file.

"In my earhole, ee-oh, ee-oh ee-oh, ee-oh ee-oh.

E. A R. H O. L E. Everybody!"

I reckon the main thrust (cue trumpet "waa-waa") of the "don't stick 'em in your ear" thing is businesses not wanting to get sued when someone sticks one in too far. They try to get around it by saying "the ear is self-cleaning" then tell you to go to a professional to pay to have them cleaned. What?

Anyway, I use 'em all the time. Give 'em a lick before you stick 'em in - saliva helps dissolve goo. They don't need to be dripping gobs of the stuff like a Xenomorph.

Sticking anything in your ear is a risky move so be careful. I had a friend pull an earbud out of his ear and the suction that formed popped his eardrum!

Fun fact: Here in New Zealand, they're called "cotton buds". If you say "Q-Tip" you'll get "I don't have a pool table" as a reply.

Back