Elvis Costello "Spectacle" on Blu Ray Nov. 10

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Last night I had the privilege of attending the taping of a television show for the second season of Elvis Costello's "Spectacle." The show is taped at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, NYC. It was quite a treat - the guests were John Prine, Lyle Lovett and Ray Lamontagne. The show, which airs on the Sundance Channel, features Elvis performing with and interviewing such notables as Elton John, Tony Bennett, The Police, Herbie Hancock - the list goes on. I can't tell you how thrilling it was to see such an event and even more of a thrill to hear musicians perform and speak with such passion and intelligence about their craft. After much music from all the performers, the evening ended with Elvis, John, Lyle and Ray (an unlikely foursome to say the least) performing a very moving rendition of John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery" - twice! - Elvis forgot to put his capo on the second fret of his guitar and trainwrecked the first go round so a "do over" was in order - lucky us!

They have just announced the release date of Season 1 a 4 Disc Blu Ray ( and 5 disc DVD) set for Nov. 10 - in Canada (hopefully USA too) with a "5.1 mix supervised by Elvis himself." More info here

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spectacle-Elvis-Costello-Season-1/12622

Interestingly, not a single comment so far...so I shall commence again. Let's start with WOW! 4 BD discs mastered in DTS HD MA surround- 16 1 hour episodes. Executive producer is Elton John and hosted by Elvis Costello. Season 1 featured artists are in order; Elton John, President Bill Clinton, Tony Bennett, Lou Reed, The Police, Smokey Robinson, Rufus Wainwright, Jakob Dylan, Jenny Lewis, She & Him, Diana Krall, Herbie Hancock, Kris Kristofferson, Rosanne Cash, Norah Jones, John Mellencamp, James Taylor and Renee Fleming. Other artists that make significant contributions along the way; Allen Toussaint, James Burton, Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny, Bill Charlap, The Imposters (Elvis' band), Kate McGarrigle, Christian McBride and Bill Frisell.

First off, the surround mix is one of, if not the best BD Music mixes I have heard - crystal clear w/active and discrete rears. The PQ is stunning. The performances are quite unique and the song choices are not necessarily what you would expect, and even when you do expect them, they are still unique. A few examples; Elvis Costello & The Imposters along with James Burton performing "Mystery Train" in honor of Clinton's favorite artist, the other Elvis - Burton played guitar in Presley's late 60's band. Tony Bennett bringing Diana Krall up from the audience to play piano for him on "I've Got The World On A String." Elvis & The Imposters and The Police playing a medley of "Watching the Detectives/Walking On The Moon" followed by "Sunshine Of Your Love." It goes on and on...

If you are a music fan (and if you frequent this forum, I guess that means you), then this is a must have - a living document of the history of modern popular music. Elvis Costello possesses an encylcopedic knowledge of music and he engages his guests in a remarkable way. Listening to Tony Bennett or Smokey Robinson talk about their influences and history is essential - as are the rest of the artists here. This is intimate, powerful stuff. The only downside to this set is that you cannot isolate the songs - you have to hear them within the episode - though you can ride the remote should you want to skip over previous viewed parts. Still all in all a very special collection - and the the mix is EXCELLENT. Treat yourselves for Christmas, Chanukkah or whatever. Happy Holidays!(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
The only negative imho is too much talking and not enough music.

There are over 40 tracks of music that you can't hear anywhere else and for $45 quite the bargain - I happen to find the talk fascinating but to each his own. If you like hearing the best in the biz talk about songwriting, influences and craft then this is for you - if not, then you should pass.

I missed this earlier, I'd love to see it. Elvis is an engaging presence as a guest or a host and I love the Imposters from a Blu Ray concert in Memphis. The description of this show reminds me a bit of Sessions At West 54th which we loved and still miss. (only 2 DVDs ever issued)

Great list of performers mentioned. Ran into John Prine while Christmas shopping at Media Play a few years ago when they were still open. I recognized him, he smiled, I smiled and then I left him alone.

Back