Enoch Light's "Spaced Out"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Svensson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I just received this one after a brief search....great lounge music. Anyway, I have a couple other E. Light's that are marked as CD4 lps......this is obviously one of his (or the) earliest surround releases, (c) 1969 and it is unmarked as to type. Does anyone have confirmation on what the "4 Channel Stereo" is? My guess is that it is EV matrix. Nice cheesecake cover also, is that you QL? ;) John

OK, let me get this straight...

You say you have "Spaced Out", are you asking what format it might be?

If so, it could be either EV, QS or CD-4, as it was released in all three formats. Does the label not give any clues?

OD

Ah, I will check the "QDxxxx" release number and compare to the Anderson listing. Other than that...there are no obvious clues as on his CD4 releases if I recall correctly.
The liner notes go on about the new four channel process but never get around to naming what that process is! John

OK, let me get this straight...

You say you have "Spaced Out", are you asking what format it might be?

If so, it could be either EV, QS or CD-4, as it was released in all three formats. Does the label not give any clues?

OD

Last edited:
Mr. Light was a strong and early proponent of QUAD. He used all mediums and all formats. Imagine what kind of fun he would have today; kind of like an Alan Parsons for the Sinatra set.

Check the wax itself, it will tell ya if it is sq or cd-4. He did some in sq and cd-4. Most were issued QS. Many times the sticker was on the cello that described the system.

Ah, I will check the "QDxxxx" release number and compare to the Anderson listing. Other than that...there are no obvious clues as on his CD4 releases if I recall correctly.
The liner notes go on about the new four channel process but never get around to naming what that process is! John

Disc number is "PR5043A QD" which would probably put it in the QS camp......other than Mark's discography doesn't identify any of the versions as having that "A" designation. No stickers on the cello either. Thanks for the link there Jon. John

A "duh...." moment, the "A" most likely denotes the A side, probably a "B" on the other side!

I'd have to agree with John & OD, given the complete lack of identification I'd guess it to be a very early EV version also.

Last edited:
An easy way to tell if a record is CD-4, if you can't see it in the grooves, is to put the stylus on the record with the platter stopped. Now slowly turn the platter by hand and you will be able to hear the 30kHz carrier being played at a reduced frequency if the record is, in fact, CD-4.

Doug

Actually the CD-4 Project 3 releases had a big "CD-4" sticker on the front. You could also check the label and matrix number inscribed on the album.
Or play it through a demodulator and wait for the CD-4 Radar light to show.

No, John, but I'll be featured on the fold out of the "Complete Enoch Light LP Box Set." I need that, since I weigh 873 lbs. Thank God I lost weight!

BTW: is there also a full calorie Enoch?

I heard that this is acid rock. Does that mean that you need to be on acid to think that this is rock?

How can it be Quad, if it's only Project 3?

Nice cheesecake cover also, is that you QL? ;) John

Originally Posted by John Svensson

Nice cheesecake cover also, is that you QL? John

I was under the impression that QL is on the cover of the Cars album?

Back