Foobar vs JRiver?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also would like to have the feature of seeing the lyrics scroll by as they are being sung. I watched a video of one of them that did that.

One guy on MusicBee said "out of 550 songs it managed to find lyrics to 45"..

Last edited:
I have an MKV folder on my desktop, and I have those file types associated to VLC player. So, when I click one of the files, VLC opens and starts playing in Atmos.
Interesting...I store my Atmos in THD files, which contains the raw TrueHD + Atmos data. Maybe I should switch to MKV.

Reactions: GOS
Interesting...I store my Atmos in THD files, which contains the raw TrueHD + Atmos data. Maybe I should switch to MKV.

I would suggest MKA file for each song track and a cue file for each album unless you want to keep the video. MMH works really well for this conversion from the MKV's.

I also would like to have the feature of seeing the lyrics scroll by as they are being sung. I watched a video of one of them that did that.

One guy on MusicBee said "out of 550 songs it managed to find lyrics to 45"..
Kodi is fairly good at it. I would estimate it finds scrolling lyrics about 60% of the time. It finds static lyrics another 30%, and no lyrics 10%

Musicbee can't handle Atmos I believe. It definitely doesn't handle it in a MKV or MKA. Kodi and jRiver handles both however.
Until we get a standardized format for spatial audio like we have for surround and stereo (FLAC) I don't think many media players will get support soon.

Until we get a standardized format for spatial audio like we have for surround and stereo (FLAC) I don't think many media players will get support soon.

Tons of players support MKV's and have for ages. Musicbee doesn't support video and Atmos is an A/V format up until a few months ago when Tidal and Apple began streaming. MKA and M4A are the leaders now if you remove video from the equation. Time will tell.

Tons of players support MKV's and have for ages. Musicbee doesn't support video and Atmos is an A/V format up until a few months ago when Tidal and Apple began streaming. MKA and M4A are the leaders now if you remove video from the equation. Time will tell.
That's true, but what I mean is that there's no standardized codec. Atmos can't be converted to DTS:X or Auro with just a simple file conversion without losing data. That's what's the problem. 5.1 or 7.1 can be converted to FLAC, ALAC, WAV, APE (if you like torturing yourself), and WavePack interchangeably with no problems.

I am still hooked on the foobar2000 path.

I am yet to find another piece of software that seems to seemlessly work on any PC I encounter with little memory usage and fuss. I like the simple plugin system, ease of getting updated versions of the software and plugins, etc.

I made a basic UI for it in line my nerdy desires to show technical information on the track playing, the album cover and a massive song list. I saved the UI as a settings file and again, can use it everywhere, it's just so easy.

And it goes without saying that I've never had a problem with 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, 7.1 etc files doing what they should do...

JRiver and Kodi have been experimented with but I haven't been sold. Yet :)

Back