For old time QQ'ers - a blast back 20+ Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hiptone on that early list.

Anyway some of us actually came from the yahoo group Jon had started. I think it was called QQ as well? Jon could tell us. But that group was pretty active and excited about sharing our quad experiences. DTS was still a new thing. DVD-A and SACD was brand new and players were very expensive I recall. DVD-A players were running $450 to $500 and did not even play SACD.
Come to think about it, it seems maybe there was an alt. newsgroup first on quadraphonic, and then it morphed into the Yahoo group. and the Yahoo group became the QQ as we now know it. Yes I think that this here is the 3rd incarnation of QQ.

Last edited:
I notice that too as I was going to reply to a post above with the link to the old 'About QQ' web page but it appears that all of those links are now gone from the home page. I posted about this in the moderator forum to see what Angie might have to say about it. Although since I no longer control the forum, I have not been able to update those pages, but many of them had archival value to the community. It kind of bums me out to be honest
I hope to hear that she responded and corrects the issue. I would think if a forum changes platforms, and then asks for donation, that a reduction in value would be the last thing any mod would want.
What I mean is, those links had value. At the very least Mark's Discography should be linked. To have to leave QQ to find it via Google is silly. 🤷‍♂️

Come to think about it, it seems maybe there was an alt. newsgroup first on quadraphonic, and then it morphed into the Yahoo group. and the Yahoo group became the QQ as we now know it. Yes I think that this here is the 3rd incarnation of QQ.

The original Quadraphonic Quad - Quadrangle for Quad Heads - was started as a Yahoo! group by Kenneth Newmann and Tad Bartel - two current QQ members. It was a great community but it got ruined when Yahoo! decided to go full-on ads for revenue generation and made the place tough to take. I started an EZBoard and called it QuadraphonicQuad and we went on from there until EZBoard too decided to get too ad-involved. At that point, I registered the domain name and bought the vBulletin software and the web space and converted the EZBoard to vBulletin. bringing over the entire membership and posts (as I recall). At the time there was a vB import from EZBoard option I paid for.

Anyway, the original QQ Yahoo! Group was not me, it was Tad and Ken. I sorta took it over from there, mostly because I could afford it at the time! ;)

This was all spelled out in the QQ "About" page, which I fear has gone the way of Yahoo! groups!

The original Quadraphonic Quad - Quadrangle for Quad Heads - was started as a Yahoo! group by Kenneth Newmann and Tad Bartel - two current QQ members. It was a great community but it got ruined when Yahoo! decided to go full-on ads for revenue generation and made the place tough to take. I started an EZBoard and called it QuadraphonicQuad and we went on from there until EZBoard too decided to get too ad-involved. At that point, I registered the domain name and bought the vBulletin software and the web space and converted the EZBoard to vBulletin. bringing over the entire membership and posts (as I recall). At the time there was a vB import from EZBoard option I paid for.

Anyway, the original QQ Yahoo! Group was not me, it was Tad and Ken. I sorta took it over from there, mostly because I could afford it at the time! ;)

This was all spelled out in the QQ "About" page, which I fear has gone the way of Yahoo! groups!
22 years ago or thereabout. I would say, good call, Jon. Certainly has enriched my life over the years.

22 years ago or thereabout. I would say, good call, Jon. Certainly has enriched my life over the years.
Not only that, but it influenced the record industry slowly little by little they started to think of their quad master tapes as something of value rather than a defunct format that does not play well in the modern world, and that was soundly rejected last century.

So QQ having consolidated the interest in surround music from the listeners via the internet - while bringing more attention to those recordings in the vaults was important to get to where we are today.

These factors were brought up in press releases when the first Quadio titles were launched, the CTA from Rhino. I recall that they called the "conversions" of tapes and LPs to digital discs the ultimate "Geek" thing a multichannel fan or an audiophile might do. So they were doing it one better by releasing the Chicago and Aretha Franklin discs officially.

QQ is no mystery to Steven Wilson and tons of other multichannel professionals, and record company staff, and vault librarians.

Last edited:
Oh yes....nowadays we are a player. The big three and others realize our surround/quad potential....at long last.
Lot's of money to be made from all of our ever increasing members I think.

Nice to have Rhino/WEA on board for their quadraphonic catalog in 192/24 blurays.
Nice to have had Audio Fidelity on board for quad sacds , now the task is taken over by Dutton Vocalion with their quad sacds ..ever increasing yet.
Nice to have Sony Japan take notice with their quad sacds...hoping for more of those nostalgic quad 7 inches.
Nice to have Paul at SDE on board with bluray ...and Esoteric Cherry Red with their DVD and Bluray surround and quad disc's.
Nice to have Tull, and King Crimson , and many others via Steven Wilson for Warner Atlantic and DGM

Who did I miss? ..
.Stephen W Tayler, mostly through Cherry Red labels , also Alan Parsons*........and Project and his other engineering albums.

And there must be others as yet unnamed.............so quad continues....

And thankyou Jon and all the QQ moderators for all contributions .

*thx quadtrade.

Was it this group or another that was on Delphi (remember them?)? Some of the same people, anyway, mid-late '90s.

No Sir. I had the Harley and before that a few others, '69 Bonneville e.g., and l was racing 2 stroke Suzuki's and worked "off the books" at a Suzuki shop at 16 doing non warranty work, rebuilding engines, changing tires, what ever.
After bikes I got more into hi performance cars. For a while it was both, couldn't afford them both for long though. I built small block chevy's then got into Z28 Camaro's/LS1 engines early. I traded the Z in on a Grand Cherokee for the wife and now drive an old '96 Ranger we bought new.
It seems like we have plenty of expensive hobbies, and that it’s ridiculously easy to go overboard on multiple ones. Besides my A/V setup, I have a 79 Super Beetle VW that I keep running, a multitude of home improvement projects (sometimes known as “woodshop”), my Indycar archive, gardening (fortunately on hold for the winter), and I’m sure a few more.

Retirement doesn’t mean rest, at least in my case.

It seems like we have plenty of expensive hobbies, and that it’s ridiculously easy to go overboard on multiple ones. Besides my A/V setup, I have a 79 Super Beetle VW that I keep running, a multitude of home improvement projects (sometimes known as “woodshop”), my Indycar archive, gardening (fortunately on hold for the winter), and I’m sure a few more.

Retirement doesn’t mean rest, at least in my case.
Like is often said, how did we ever have time to go to a job?

Back