Fosgate FAP-V1 Tube PLII Preamp for $3,000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Jay Frank at Evolution AV in Southern California has a close out deal on the Fosgate Tube ProLogic II Preamp/Processor. Originally listing for $13,000, Jay is selling them for $3,000 each. Here's the scoop from Jay Frank:

>>"Legendary Performance, Limited Edition, Museum Piece Quality, Hand Crafted by the father of Surround Sound, Jim Fosgate"

Evolution is about to make you an unbelievable offer. Only 50 of these $13,000 legendary hand made tube preamps were ever built, and less then half of them are still available.

We are offering this VERY Limited Edition FAP-V1 Jim Fosgate Surround Tube Preamp at a mind-boggling price. For the very fortunate few, Evolution is offering the last available units for an unbelievable price of only $3,000! Yes, you've read correctly! $10,000 off the original price.

This component is unique in that it is the only vacuum tube driven surround sound processor in the world, utilizing Dolby Pro Logic II, created by the legendary Jim Fosgate. The surround experience of DPL2 ranks as one of the industry's finest accomplishments in the past 15 years.

Unique to the FAP-V1 is that it accepts any 2-channel stereo source and outputs 5.1 surround sound. This two channel stereo input can come from virtually any component, including a VCR, record player, CD player, DVD player, Satellite Receiver, or Cassette deck, and will output fantastic surround sound, making the unit a truly universal surround sound decoder.

Contact Evolution immediately at: [email protected] or call 818-879-1312.

Check out the Fosgate FAP-V1 website at:

http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FAP-V1.asp <<

I hate to be the one to state the obvious but, If they can sell them for 3 grand and still eek out a little profit, won't it really piss off some people who have already spent 13 grand for the same thing?

And, if they can sell them for 3 grand and still eek out a little profit, why would they be selling them for 13 grand anyway? Seems like a ripoff to me.

Now before everyone starts flaming me and calling me a heretic, I realize what a nice piece this is. According to the reviews, it looks fantastic, performs superbly and is probably the best unit of it's kind available (maybe the only of it's kind). But when you make something with a price point of THIRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS and then offer it at an 80% reduction, it leads me to believe they are having a very hard time selling any....

My 2 cents.
Lonny (putting on flame suite :cool: )

I was thinking the same thing. But, you have to remember that people who can afford a $13,000 pre/pro have a completely different mindset than the rest of us.

BananaSlug said:
I was thinking the same thing. But, you have to remember that people who can afford a $13,000 pre/pro have a completely different mindset than the rest of us.

What? THEY don't mind getting ripped off? :D
(sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Lonny
Vintage Audio and Vintage Bikes, both SOUND great!
QpS

I don't think they see it as being ripped off, but rather as belonging to an exclusive club, i.e., better than the rest of us. But, yeah, I find it totally insane. But then I spent less on my entire system than some people spend on speaker wire.

Any complex device that your only going to make 75 of is going to have sky high R & D costs per unit. My guess would be the $3000 represents the manufacturing costs per unit. Our wonderful capitalist system seems to mandate that the street price of manufactured goods is about 5 times the cost of the assembled parts. There are only a handful of multi-channel peamps on the market world-wide & the fosgate unit is unique in serveral areas, most notably it's treatment & flexibility of 2 channels sources and it's use of tubes. Losing that solid state hardness, brightness & glare seems worth $3k to me...(now if I only had the $3k) I promise not to feel better than anyone else, if I could raise the $$$

I am a happy owner of "one" (Fosgate FAP V1),and I have been that for moore than one year and I will Never ever sell this analog beast to any one!!

This preamp. is good I have never heard stereo/mono recordings from early LP/Laserdisk or new DVD/CD recordings in stereo from 50-new recordings play so good in multichanel!!

And I whant to recomend [email protected] I have had a lot of help from him and Evolution Audio that´s my experiance.

I payed $3000,I would be moore than happy to pay a lot moore fore this thing!!!

(I WILL NEVER,EVER SELL MY Fosgate FAP V1,
THATS IT END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think it´s moore than 1,5 year when I start to count the day:s when I baught this "beast" and I still love this thing!!

Last edited:
Old thread, but I wonder if the whole thing is tubed even the matrixing circuitry.

Old thread, but I wonder if the whole thing is tubed even the matrixing circuitry.

That's my understanding. Fosgate prototyped Pro Logic II as a tubed circuit before Dolby bought the rights and converted the circuit to IC Chips.

This makes me wonder if you could also do SQ/QS/EV-4/etc. with tubes, and if so, could it become a DIY option? I've had experience with tube amp kits and would go that far, if possible.

I have one of these units (though no longer using it, due to it's single ended & my system uses mostly "balanced" in & outs) My understanding is the matrix circuitry is discrete (no chips), but uses solid state "steering" circuitry to cancel out parts of signals. So all analog tube signal path with discrete solid state elements "subtracting/steering" but not adding to signal path (if that makes any sense). Tube rectifier too, 42lbs beast!

There's at least one patent that appears to explain the theory behind the Fosgate Tate, which I read a couple years ago, but can't understand it. Its possible to build something like that without the need for special ICs.

Back