Found in junkyard: Sansui QRX-9001

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tushdayal

Alright, so we had a free "throw your crap away" at our local junkyard. I was throwing away an old bedframe when I happened to see a shiny reciever sitting under some garbage. I quickly apprehended it when no one was looking and took it home.

It's a Sansui QRX-9001 that I got for free! I don't really know much about quadraphonic systems, but from what I've read, this is a real jewel. Physically it's in pretty good shape, only one of the buttons is missing the silver cap. The owner's name seems to be etched under the muting switches.

Here are the problems I've found so far:

-Volume pot seems to be bad, it cuts left and right as I turn the dial, there is a "sweet" spot where both channels come through. So right now, I have to fade sound to the rear speakers (no speakers are hooked into the rear outputs) so my ears don't bleed.

-phono input's left channel seems to be bad, not getting any sound on it

Some of the mode buttons (not sure what they're called, they're the small round buttons under the AM/FM tuner thingy) when pressed lose the left channel.

I've read the name "Quadbob" floating around... I was just wondering what the cost of getting this running again would be. I'm a poor college student, so that might be a problem.

Hello,

You may want to just want to sell it on eBay. Even in the shape it's in it's worth a couple hundred to some people. Completely restored its worth upwards of around a thousand dollars. Then you'll need speakers, and a hybrid disc player. Then you'll want a center/sub channel amp and some more speakers. Then you'll want a Q8 deck and a turntable with a quad cart and they'll probably need to be restored too. Then you'll need a library to play on your new setup.

After you have your library built up and you're started to get bored with nothing new being released, then you'll run out and track down a quad reel to reel deck. By the time you get it back from being restored you'll have quite a few reels to listen to that you started collecting.

When it's all said and done you'll find that you have a nice sound system. The catch is that by that time you'll be hooked like the rest of us around here and you'll be out of about $5000.00 to $10,000.00. But what the heck, what difference does it make if you're $50,000.00 or $40,000.00 in dept when you finish school. After all you'll have a good education and a nice stereo, what else is there?:D

As I was saying you may just want to sell it. Then run like hell.

Good Luck, I gotta go snipe me some new music....

Last edited:
You might want to pick up a can of DeOxit spray contact cleaner and spray inside the pots while turning them up and down repeatedly. This could solve many of your problems on the cheap. Do the same with the mode buttons, spray them inside while pushing them in and out a bit.

If that doesn't work, there's always ebay.:D

Great score! If you do not plan on keeping it you might consider listing it on the QQ Swap Meet located elsewhere on this forum thus allowing a forum member to have the first shot at it. I am sure a member would offer you a fair price for it. If you want to keep it I would recommed you send it to that noted Quad luminary know as "QUADBOB" for a restoration. You will not be disappointed. Earlier this year Bob restored a Sansui QSD-1 for me and it sounds incredible.

Nice find. It's one of the very best quad receivers, released towards the "end" of the quad era. A restoration would be expensive, but worth it. However, on your callege buget, it may not be practical.

You may want to clean it up and see if it may just be dirty. It can also be used as a stereo receiver with the x2 switch. It's 60 watts per channel in quad, or 120 watts per channel in stereo - at that's some pretty good watts.

You might want to pick up a can of DeOxit spray contact cleaner and spray inside the pots while turning them up and down repeatedly. This could solve many of your problems on the cheap. Do the same with the mode buttons, spray them inside while pushing them in and out a bit.

If that doesn't work, there's always ebay.:D

I agree with zabble. I would bet that the switches and controls are just dirty. I got a resored and recapped QSD-2 that had one channel out in QS mode. It was just a dirty mode switch. I would think twice about getting rid of it though. You have a great one there. Mike.

Ah, don't let Aquadad discourage you. You have a real diamond in the rough, and if you can't afford to fix it up now, you can always store it until you can. Many of us started our quad setups on a shoestring budget, and have continually improved them over the years. The QS decoder in that unit is one of the finest, and I suspect it has a rather good CD-4 demodulator as well. The QS decoder will do SQ also, and that gets you in the game as far as quad is concerned. I understand a QS Variomatrix decoder does a pretty good job with stereo as well, though I haven't had the opportunity to sit down and listen to one. If the pot is just dirty it can be cleaned up. So, when you can afford to fix it up, you're in for some good listening.

The Quadfather

Back