fourth dimension and surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaSlug

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since there hasn't been much surround activity in some time now (with a few noteworthy exceptions) I'm interested in what has withstood the test of time for people.

Most (nearly all) of the surround titles available wouldn't be in my collection if they weren't surround. Often I get a new disc, really like it, vote high and gush about how great it is. A few weeks later many of these discs are collecting dust in my collection. I've tried to correct this by not voting until I've had a disc for some time. Now, with so few new releases, I find myself listening to a select few discs that have become some of my favorite music. The big three are:

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia,
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing; and
Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Some (but not all!) of the other discs that I don't listen to quite as often but are essential to my collection are:

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream,
Monte Alexander - Meets Sly and Robbie,
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters,
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (both versions),
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here,
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow; and
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues.

A couple of recent purchases have also been getting a bit of play here. They are Steve Miller - Fly like and Eagle (first 3 tracks of the 30th anniv. ed.) and Seal's song Crazy from the Best of disc. Whether or not they will still be in heavy rotation in a few months remains to be seen.

So, what discs have remained sitting on top your disc player and never quite made it back to your shelves/cabinets?

The Fagen discs are always around. They sound great, have excellent mixes, and demo the format well, as do the Steely Dans.

Brothers in Arms is another.

The previously mentioned discs are all faves - especially the Fagen and Steely Dan titles that Jon mentions - I am bit of of a jazz guitar fan so I like to keep Pat Metheny's "Imaginary Day" and Al DiMeola's "Flesh on Flesh" in regular rotation - throw in Satriani's "Strange Beautiful Music and the two Zappa titles too!

Great question!

I agree with all of the Steely Dan and Fagens solos.

Interestingly, I have one old and one new to add to the list.

The oldie is the Doobies "Captain and Me" in DVD-A. A truly amazing mix considering it's age. I do play this often.

The new is Eric Clapton's "Back Home". I have always liked his music and this mix is very nice on the ears. A smooth listen.:smokin

Back