Funny thing happened on my way thru Re Ripping my Collection to Higher Bit Rate......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything in life is pointless..
Every Space we fills a waste..
I love having lots and lots of Space..

Space on shelves to put more lovely pointless lossless discs..
Space on hard drives to rip more big old lovely pointless lossless files..

For me Space is the final frontier,
I'm a Space cadet, I'm a Spacestronaut..

What do I do when I see a Space, man?
Park in it, man...

..and I'm just a man
filling up all the Space I can.

I give up.....which song is that?! music002.gifsmiley_biggrin.gif

Perhaps or perhaps not............I seem to be able to hear a difference from my old 128 PC bitrates compared to the 320 bitrates I am doing now. I had them all as WMA files waaaay back and I am hating them..........so now I am converting them to 320 mp3s that will be more useful to me. I was stuck on an old 500 gig drive now I have a 2 TB drive, so Drive space is no big deal now.

Eventually, I Imagine I will put them to all lossless in a few more years...........

I am interested in knowing the thought process of your point?

One man's poison is another man's pleasure. Don't ya Know. Where as we all have different tastes in food, as we all too have different measures of hearing. I have only spent a little over a year on the QQ forums and can see by the many polls and other threads, that one person's perception of sound can be totally different from the next.

You might be right, but give me something to substantiate your thoughts. I am learning as I go along and most of what everyone talks about is over my head in a lot of topics, but I am trying to learn.

So help me out here ssully :banana:

One man's meat is another man's poisson :D

I guess the only point on the neagative side, is that it probably takes just as long to sample in lossless flac as it does in mp3 no matter what bit rate you use, so if you do it the best way once , then you don't have to ever do it again

maybe in a few years when I have a lot more time. The transcoding thing down for mp3 players and stuff kinda is keeping me from it. Then eventually I would have everything in FLAC and mp3 then......

For the hell of it what FLAC to MP3 is suggested.........

I don't have another any other Media PLayer right now except WMA (Don't Laugh, SNood is a NOOB) which gives the option to convert to WAV (Lossless), but what is the best FREE converter that most of ya use??

I might eventually convert my main stuff like Beatles, Stones, Who, to FLAC :banana:

Re-ripping 128K at 320K or FLAC isn't pointless.
That's correct but the original post was a little ambiguous as one may have read that he was ripping his CDs to a higher bit rate than 44.1. That was how I read it as well. Not that he was ripping his discs to higher bitrate MP3 than he already had. That makes much greater sense yo me

I don't have another any other Media PLayer right now except WMA (Don't Laugh, SNood is a NOOB) which gives the option to convert to WAV (Lossless), but what is the best FREE converter that most of ya use??

I use Foobar, and with component add-ons, it gives you plenty of options and is much better over WMA. Though, it won't work on an Mac based system without Windows.

Are we not getting a little off topic here.

The advice and info is valid but the whole point of the thread was what he found whilst ripping.

High five to Snood as it clearly was not a waste of time.

so now I am converting them to 320 mp3s that will be more useful to me. I was stuck on an old 500 gig drive now I have a 2 TB drive, so Drive space is no big deal now.

Eventually, I Imagine I will put them to all lossless in a few more years...........

Hey Snood, why bother with MP3 at all? I thought FLAC was the prevailing choice nowadays. Thanks, PK

Hey Snood, why bother with MP3 at all? I thought FLAC was the prevailing choice nowadays. Thanks, PK

Storage space and uploading to Google Music and other players :banana:

Storage space and uploading to Google Music and other players :banana:

Not to mention that it is your preference which requires no explanation. I rip my stuff to FLAC but most samples of mixes I'm working on are sent to individuals as MP3 and I don't notice a difference at 320K. I use MP3 for music at the gym and sounds great to me. Each to their own, of course

Last edited:
maybe in a few years when I have a lot more time. The transcoding thing down for mp3 players and stuff kinda is keeping me from it. Then eventually I would have everything in FLAC and mp3 then......

For the hell of it what FLAC to MP3 is suggested.........

It's not free, but dBpoweramp is worth the price...I think it's $40 or so. It can be configured to rip everything to any number of simultaneous formats in a single pass. It's also very fast as it compares its results to the AccurateRip database and moves on quickly if it gets a clean match.

But I had to be extremely fussy and get it right the first time: I plodded my way through about 3,000 CDs and wound up devoting something like a year and a half to the project. I don't know if I can hear the difference between FLAC and MP3, but I figured that starting out with lossless gave me more options than starting out compressed.

I don't know if I can hear the difference between FLAC and MP3, but I figured that starting out with lossless gave me more options than starting out compressed.
I totally agree with this and still keep everything as FLAC. I think it's a little like an insurance policy in case the original disks fail or rot, and your hard discs fail. I use Foobar on my PC and an Android tablet to contol Foobar remotely. Absolute luxury and convenience!

Last edited:
Don't you need an old firmware PS3 with SACD Ripper software to rip the hi res off those SACDs? Anything else is just red book CD. (Or have I missed something?)

Back