Got CD-4 To Work On First Try, Still Feel Like An Idiot

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I finally got the Shibata stylus for the Technics P24 cart that I wanted to use for CD-4. I put this cart on a Technics Linear SL-J2. Paired with the nos JVC 4dd-5 I got off ebay, it all worked on the first try. At first I was elated to have rock solid CD4 Radar light, then I did the fine tuning. I ended up trying different methods, I used the Fisher disc, I finally ended up going with the method someone posted here, the Riders On The Storm method, use that song off The Best Of The Doors, adjust the rear channels for most whisper, least distortion, and kablamo, easy CD4 seperation adjustment. There still is a slight tad amount of front/rear crosstalk, when listening through headphones, but I guess not even CD4 is perfect. I should consider myself lucky I got one that actually fired up and worked with no extra work (it could probably use a bit of deoxit, I had one of the fronts drop once till I toggled power).

Now for how I feel like an idiot. I never checked what cart came on the SL-J2, after I swapped it and was done playing with CD-4, I decided to look it up. I thought it had a pretty pedestrian AT cart but I realised it was an AT "Series VIII" which apparantly was a nice CD-4 capable cart, even sporting a Shibata Stylus already (keep in mind I only paid like $30 or $40 for the TT). So after dishing out $120 for the shibata for the Technics cart, I realised I was replacing a CD4 capable cart with a shibata. I still am glad I did though. No telling how much wear is on stylus on the AT cart. Now I have a backup CD4 cart to play with.

So there is my first adventure with CD-4

Back