HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - ROCKIN' & THE BEST OF THE GUESS WHO VOLUME 2 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - ROCKIN & THE BEST OF THE GUESS WHO VOLUME 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Real pleased to have this one, nice and discrete. Like the guitar solo in ‘Broken’, as one at a time it makes its way to all 4 speakers. Wish D-V would take a swing at Vol.1, imo AF really botched this one. I consider it one of my worst MC discs and usually put it on stereo :eek: when I play it. Give this latest one a 9(y)

Real pleased to have this one, nice and discrete. Like the guitar solo in ‘Broken’, as one at a time it makes its way to all 4 speakers. Wish D-V would take a swing at Vol.1, imo AF really botched this one. I consider it one of my worst MC discs and usually put it on stereo :eek: when I play it. Give this latest one a 9(y)

Yes DV...please please please do greatest hits vol 1 over as i dont own a copy n cant afford $65 - $125 for ONE disc...besides i hear the grapevine AF messed this one up...so it needs a Do over and as a two fer everyone who already has it WILL BUY IT AGAIN!

AF botched nothing. They just properly delivered Vol 1's wonky, early quad mix. What exactly did AF do to botch it?

The channel assignments on AF's Best of #1 were all over the place.

All things considered, I think Volume 2 has the worst mixing cock-up. On Heartbroken Bopper, the guitar that was in Back Right around the 2-minute mark suddenly either disappears or shifts over to Back Left.

It is what it is. Somehow or another, it always seems that the original mixing engineer messes up my favorite song. "Promised Land" from Elvis' same-titled album is absolutely dreadful.

Last edited:
Calling all Guess Who quad experts.
As i said above, i'm not familiar at all with Rockin', so i'm listening with fresh ears in these hot summer days (go figure...)
The mixes of the common tracks between Rockin' and Best of v.2 are different, that's clear But...

WHAT WAS MIXED INTO QUAD BEFORE?

Did Rockin' quad came before or after Best 2? Because, while different, i think the mix of Guns - despite its weird panning - sounds better on Rockin', especially on the vocals.

Calling all Guess Who quad experts.
As i said above, i'm not familiar at all with Rockin', so i'm listening with fresh ears in these hot summer days (go figure...)
The mixes of the common tracks between Rockin' and Best of v.2 are different, that's clear But...

WHAT WAS MIXED INTO QUAD BEFORE?

Did Rockin' quad came before or after Best 2? Because, while different, i think the mix of Guns - despite its weird panning - sounds better on Rockin', especially on the vocals.

pretty sure Rockin' came out before, one of the older RCA Q8's pre-CD-4 rollout in the U.S. (i want to say 1972 maybe?)

The only tracks released in real quad before Best Of, Vol. II were Heartbroken Bopper and Guns, Guns, Guns from Rockin', and Glamour Boy from #10.

Artificial Paradise
(the album that contained Follow Your Daughter Home and Orly) was released as a Q8, but it's an entirely fake quad mix with just a badly-echoed version of the stereo mix in the rear speakers, so the quad mixes of those two tracks on Best of, Vol. II are the first and only real quad mixes of those tracks.

The rest come from albums that were never released in quad in any form:

Broken and Albert Flasher (non-LP double-A side single, 1971)
Rain Dance, Sour Suite and Life in the Bloodstream (So Long, Bannatyne, 1971)
Runnin' Back to Saskatoon (Live at the Paramount, 1972)

I vote a high 8, almost a 9, but not quite. Some good songs and some fair ones. Same with the quad mix, mostly very good, but on a few songs just ok. Glad to have it. It has grown on me. I have listened to it 3 times now, keeps sounding better.

Well IMHO this version of the Guess Who were almost as good as they were with Randy . I always loved "Heartbroken Bopper" and "Guns Guns Guns" from Rockin", even though they didn't chart as well as some of the earlier stuff. At least now I don't have to try to fix the Rockin" Q8 that I have sitting mostly unspooled in a box on the shelf. The mix with full centre vocals is sounds good in a vehicle or in a smaller room with a square shaped speaker arrangement, otherwise I prefer the Vol.2 versions. The other notable track (or sub track) is "Heaven Only Moved Once Yesterday". I suppose that the addition of the fifties stuff is some sort of an attempt to make Rockin' into a concept album?

Best of Volume 2 contains hits such as Raindance that were not otherwise released in Quad. I don't know why the album "So Long Bannatyne" wasn't released in Quad while almost everything else was, but I wonder if unreleased tapes might exist? As expected the disc sounds a lot better than my CD-4 conversion. "Live at the Paramount" would also of been a great album in Quad; based on the sound of "Runnin' Back to Saskatoon", an in the middle of the band style recording not an in the audience recording!

Somewhere I have a cassette recording taken off AM radio of CKRC Winnipeg in which DJ Tom Kelly relates a conversation that he had with Burton Cummings about "Albert Flasher". Burton was doing an interview at a Vancouver radio station (CKVN to be exact) , when a light (News) "Alert Flasher" starts flashing on the control panel, Well "Alert Flasher" became "Albert Flasher" and the idea for a song. You don't usually hear stories like that on radio much anymore, except possibly from Randy Bachman on CBC's Vinyl Tap.
Yes please live at the Paramount in Quad please please

I was blown away by this twofer. I originally hit it with a 9 which, to me is a ten because I'm not sure I ever gave a 10. anyway I changed it to a TEN because SQ is excellent. Surround is perfect, music is excellent and brings me back to a better time. But what pushed it over the edge is value for money . Anyone contemplating these Quad twofers should just stop it and order them now they are too good to pass up. I am now listening to the Poco Twofer. Not familiar with this band and I can't believe how outstanding this is.

I've now listened to this two-fer three times now; the first time as usual, just to lay back and enjoy the music. The follow up times I've been more focused on getting to know the songs, sound quality, mix, etc. During my review here I'll make comparisons to other individuals and bands, as all of this music is basically new to me. It just helps me, at first, to try and ground my thoughts through those comparisons while still keeping focused on these titles as individual entities from The Guess Who. I can already tell the more I hear these songs, the more they become something that holds my attention and creates that personal connection. Heck that's what multiple plays can do for you, like in the old days of 60's and 70's radio when you'd hear certain songs multiple times throughout the day until they stuck; but knowing that the really great songs stuck with only one listen!
In my High School years in the late 60's-early 70's, my buddies and I would have beer/smoke parties and focus on a particular album to listen to, and I remember "The Best of The Guess Who" was one of them; just couldn't seem to get enough of that record. However I never owned or heard any of their stand alone albums or much follow up music after that first "Best of" record.

It's now standard (but by no means any less astounding) that the mastering job by Michael Dutton is a thing of beauty. This release only whets my appetite for their next The Guess Who release of "American Woman" and "Share The Land" arriving soon. Another great job by steelydave on the liner notes for the very comprehensive band history, which is required reading if you have any good sense at all.

Some thoughts on "Rockin'":
The first thing that hit me is feeling the mix could be better on this one; just sounds a little weak in the bass guitar, certain vocals and instruments need to project a little more, and on some of the songs Cummings' vocals are stuck in the left front channel (I'd prefer more centered, out front vocals.) Hey, just personal preference there, some may find that O.K.
Something else hit me pretty profoundly while listening to Rockin', was how similar tonally, that Burton Cummings' voice is to Jim Morrison's. For me it was really evident during the quieter, more spoken passages of "Running Bear" and later on the next album and the live "Runnin' Back To Saskatoon."

Listening to the songs of "Rockin'" I hear various styles of Honky Tonk/Blues- track 4 "Arrivederci Girl"; the 50's Rock n' Roll/Doo Wop- track 7 "Back To The City" (one of my favorite tracks on the album); and on track 5 - "Guns, Guns, Guns" reminded me of "The Buffalo Springfield" sound. I almost feel I get what may be a Canadian Country vibe from some songs (but not sure I even know what that is?)
Track 9 "Herbert's A Loser" has some nice harmonica playing on it (and made me wish they'd used more harmonica in their music); but also I notice a much weaker vocal performance, wait a sec. that's not Cummings' singing, it turns out to be Greg Leskiw singing. I understand it is a Leskiw song, but IMO, it needs (should have had) a powerful vocal performance by Cummings' in order for the song to really work for me.

Overall I'm enjoying "Rockin'" the more I hear it; but I may need to go into Audacity at some point and do my own thing with levels to get my most enjoyment from it. The other mixing part of it that I noticed is, it seemed a little light in the Right Rear channel overall.

" The Best of The Guess Who Volume II"
Like I said, it's important to read steelydave's liner notes; because right off the bat I noticed the mix and sound of this title was much more up front and vivid than "Rockin'." So come to find out from the liner notes, that this album was re-mixed by Brian Christian and I believe it makes all the difference. I can actually make a better connection to the music when you have both really good mixing and great mastering of an album (and of course the clarity of SACD to take advantage of it all.)

The song "Rain Dance" -track 13, has a very Beach Boys sound to me. I also really enjoy "Sour Suite"- track 14 with it's use of strings, giving it more of a polished feel; although I felt Cummings' vocals should have been a little more centered and up front in the mix. Track 15 "Life in the Bloodstream" has that 1950's Doo Wop sound, but with my same thoughts as track 14 on vocals.
Now we get to the two tracks that were also on "Rockin'"; "Guns, Guns, Guns" and "Heartbroken Bopper." I switched back and forth between these songs from album to album, and they are definitely different mixes and also sound much punchier/up front on "The Best Of II." "Heartbroken Bopper" on "Rockin'" starts out with a psychedelic type guitar sound which has been removed from the "Best Of II" mix; I only wish they'd kept that in, because I liked that part. Also the main rhythm guitar part (once the vocals kick in) doesn't sound as pronounced as they are in the "Rockin'" album, which seems odd, as the rest of the album is more up front. Just a mixing decision I guess. Track 19- "Follow Your Daughter Home" (another one of my favorites) has a Caribbean feel to it; made me think of Harry Belafonte! Track 20- "Orly", has a great fiddle part in it which has that "Loggins and Messina" thing going on for me.

Here is the Dutton Vocalion link for the set:
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8562
Packaging – 10%
5%- Form & Function (Ease of access to its contents, appropriate size & secure storage.)
{Typical}

5%- Value (Extra contents considered- value added or excess trinkets.)
{Very Good/Excellent – Great liner notes by David Zimmerman aka steelydave.}

Audio Fidelity – 30%
10%- Perceived Dynamic Range (Sounding loud / bothersome, clarity & quietness.)
{Very Good}

10%- Equalization (Balance across the frequency range appropriate for the music.)
{Very Good}

10%- Production qualities (Studio Production / live recording.) & Mastering.
{VERY GOOD/EXCELLENT – I don’t believe we’ll ever hear this any better!}

Surround Mix – 25% (of 30%)
10%- Degree of Discreteness between all channels (Level of ambience overall.)
{Very Good}

10%- Spatial Definition (How each note is projected to a defined point in the room.)
{Very Good}

5% (of 10%)- Instruments, Sound Effects and Vocals (evaluating instrument placement and levels)
{Good to Very Good: The Best of The Guess Who Vol. II has a much better mix IMO, with Rockin’ often sounding like the vocals and instruments should be up-front more, and lacking a little on the bass guitar.}

Content – 25% (of 30%)
15%- Does the music make you feel something (heartfelt, excitable, somber, self-reflective?)
{Very Satisfied}

10%- Overall quality of the music (How many songs resonate with you overall?)
{Satisfied – minus 5% for lack of personal connection with the music, which should improve with more exposure and familiarity to the songs.}

My vote is a strong 9 on this release!

Last edited:
I've now listened to this two-fer three times now; the first time as usual, just to lay back and enjoy the music. The follow up times I've been more focused on getting to know the songs, sound quality, mix, etc. During my review here I'll makes comparisons to other individuals and bands, as all of this music is basically new to me. It just helps me, at first, to try and ground my thoughts through those comparisons while still keeping focused on these titles as individual entities from The Guess Who. I can already tell the more I hear these songs, the more they become something that holds my attention and creates that personal connection. Heck that's what multiply plays can do for you, like in the old days of 60's and 70's radio when you'd hear certain songs multiple times throughout the day until they stuck; but knowing that the really great songs stuck with only one listen!
In my High School years in the late 60's-early 70's, my buddies and I would have beer/smoke parties and focus on a particular album to listen to, and I remember "The Best of The Guess Who" was one of them; just couldn't seem to get enough of that record. However I never owned or heard any of their stand alone albums or much follow up music after that first "Best of" record.

It's now standard (but by no means any less astounding) that the mastering job by Michael Dutton is a thing of beauty. This release only wets my appetite for their next The Guess Who release of "American Woman" and "Share The Land" arriving soon. Another great job by steelydave on the liner notes for the very comprehensive band history, which is required reading if you have any good sense at all.

Some thoughts on "Rockin'":
The first thing that hit me is feeling the mix could be better on this one; just sounds a little weak in the bass guitar, certain vocals and instruments need to project a little more, and on some of the songs Cummings' vocals are stuck in the left front channel (I'd prefer more centered, out front vocals.) Hey, just personal preference there, some may find that O.K.
Something else hit me pretty profoundly while listening to Rockin', was how similar tonally, that Burton Cummings' voice is to Jim Morrison's. For me it was really evident during the quieter, more spoken passages of "Running Bear" and later on the next album and the live "Runnin' Back To Saskatoon."

Listening to the songs of "Rockin'" I hear various styles of Honky Tonk/Blues- track 4 "Arrivederci Girl"; the 50's Rock n' Roll/Doo Wop- track 7 "Back To The City" (one of my favorite tracks on the album); and on track 5 - "Guns, Guns, Guns" reminded me of "The Buffalo Springfield" sound. I almost feel I get what may be a Canadian Country vibe from some songs (but not sure I even know what that is?)
Track 9 "Herbert's A Loser" has some nice harmonica playing on it (and made me wish they'd used more harmonica in their music); but also I notice a much weaker vocal performance, wait a sec. that's not Cummings' singing, it turns out to be Greg Leskiw singing. I understand it is a Leskiw song, but IMO, it needs (should have had) a powerful vocal performance by Cummings' in order for the song to really work for me.

Overall I'm enjoying "Rockin'" the more I hear it; but I may need to go into Audacity at some point and do my own thing with levels to get my most enjoyment from it. The other mixing part of it that I noticed is, it seemed a little light in the Right Rear channel overall.

" The Best of The Guess Who Volume II"
Like I said, it's important to read steelydave's liner notes; because right off the bat I noticed the mix and sound of this title was much more up front and vivid than "Rockin'." So come to find out from the liner notes, that this album was re-mixed by Brian Christian and I believe it makes all the difference. I can actually make a better connection to the music when you have both really good mixing and great mastering of an album (and of course the clarity of SACD to take advantage of it all.)

The song "Rain Dance" -track 13, has a very Beach Boys sound to me. I also really enjoy "Sour Suite"- track 14 with it's use of strings, giving it more of a polished feel; although I felt Cummings' vocals should have been a little more centered and up front in the mix. Track 15 "Life in the Bloodstream" has that 1950's Doo Wop sound, but with my same thoughts as track 14 on vocals.
Now we get to the two tracks that were also on "Rockin'"; "Guns, Guns, Guns" and "Heartbroken Bopper." I switched back and forth between these songs from album to album, and they are definitely different mixes and also sound much punchier/up front on "The Best Of II." "Heartbroken Bopper" on "Rockin'" starts out with a psychedelic type guitar sound which has been removed from the "Best Of II" mix; I only wish they'd kept that in, because I liked that part. Also the main rhythm guitar part (once the vocals kick in) doesn't sound as pronounced as they are in the "Rockin'" album, which seems odd, as the rest of the album is more up front. Just a mixing decision I guess. Track 19- "Follow Your Daughter Home" (another one of my favorites) has a Caribbean feel to it; made me think of Harry Belafonte! Track 20- "Orly", has a great fiddle part in it which has that "Loggins and Messina" thing going on for me.

Here is the Dutton Vocalion link for the set:
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8562
Packaging – 10%
5%- Form & Function (Ease of access to its contents, appropriate size & secure storage.)
{Typical}

5%- Value (Extra contents considered- value added or excess trinkets.)
{Very Good/Excellent – Great liner notes by David Zimmerman aka steelydave.}

Audio Fidelity – 30%
10%- Perceived Dynamic Range (Sounding loud / bothersome, clarity & quietness.)
{Very Good}

10%- Equalization (Balance across the frequency range appropriate for the music.)
{Very Good}

10%- Production qualities (Studio Production / live recording.) & Mastering.
{VERY GOOD/EXCELLENT – I don’t believe we’ll ever hear this any better!}

Surround Mix – 25% (of 30%)
10%- Degree of Discreteness between all channels (Level of ambience overall.)
{Very Good}

10%- Spatial Definition (How each note is projected to a defined point in the room.)
{Very Good}

5% (of 10%)- Instruments, Sound Effects and Vocals (evaluating instrument placement and levels)
{Good to Very Good: The Best of The Guess Who Vol. II has a much better mix IMO, with Rockin’ often sounding like the vocals and instruments should be up-front more, and lacking a little on the bass guitar.}

Content – 25% (of 30%)
15%- Does the music make you feel something (heartfelt, excitable, somber, self-reflective?)
{Very Satisfied}

10%- Overall quality of the music (How many songs resonate with you overall?)
{Satisfied – minus 5% for lack of personal connection with the music, which should improve with more exposure and familiarity to the songs.}

My vote is a strong 9 on this release!

My God, Pupster. Will you do my TAX RETURNS this year? So Thorough!

See the source image

@J. PUPSTER I wish I could like your post more than once - informative and well-written! I know that everyone's time is valuable, and that for some people adding a vote is all they have time for, but I wish more people would take the time to leave a few comments about some of these discs, even if it's just to mention a song, or mix, or something about the album that they liked, or didn't like. When you're talking about art, numerical ratings can only tell so much of the story.

It's interesting that you heard some Buffalo Springfield influence in Guns, Guns, Guns - it always reminded me somehow of America's Horse With No Name (a song often mistaken for Neil Young) even though it's guitar-driven and Guns is piano-driven. Must be some combination of the types of chords and the shuffle rhythm.

While the music doesnt have the known radio hits that are on vol 1 the mix / surround is damn good....so for mix alone its a 9...for the songs / content I'd say a 7

So im voting an 8

Reactions: GOS
Giving this one an “8”. I like the songs much better than the Road Food/#10 two-fer. A 6 or 7 for the material.

The quad mix is solid. Really good on “Best of V II” in fact. A 9 for that.

Excellent DV mastering and liner notes from SD, as usual. And of course the value. 10s

Not going to play it a ton, but glad it’s in my collection. :phones

Back