HD-DVD - Blu-Ray Owners Poll - 4Q 2007

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD Player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
We've done this before, but it's now a year later. I never thought I would have made the leap but I did. I'm not going overboard buying everthing that interests me, but the titles I've gotten so far are pretty impressive.

So join me in registering how many members have purchased either an HD-DVD player, a Blu-Ray Player, or both! XBOX 360's (with the player) and PS3's count as well.

This will be a public poll. If you'd like to chime in with a response or opinion, please feel free. Also, list the model number of your machines and let us know if you like them or wish you had purchased something else.

I'll go first:

HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2
Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD10A

PS3 for me! I now have 94 discs. As I've commented before, the availability for MC music on these discs is incredible. The PS3 plays SACDs, too. The only thing it doesn't do is play DVD-A. I left my old DVD player in the cabinet just for those. Many of those come with DD or DTS 5.1 also, so it's only a very few discs that can't be played on the PS3.

Only drawback is that it runs really hot! The fan isn't loud though.

I just upgraded from a (first generation) Samsung BD-P1000 to the (second generation) BD-P1200. I had no compatibility issues with the 1000, but when the newer one was available for a good price ... and a nicer looking unit as well.

Not to threadcrap here but....

My TV (Mitsubishi 55" 16x9) only goes up to 1080i. I don't have HDMI capabilities either. So for me a jump into the iffy hi-def game would cost a pretty penny. I can't see doing it for years at this point. With no clear winner (Blu-ray or HD-DVD) and no real soultion for a universal player at a decent price, I guess I will just stick to little ol' DVD.

So my vote is neither. And I really don't even feel the need to change either... hey I must be growing up:eek:.

I'll hold my vote for a little while, because I'm going neutral.
But I didn't get my PS3 yet, so currently I only have HD DVD.
Since I'm interested only in the original versions of the movies anyway I opted to import a PS3 from the US. The BD releases here in Germany are just not that attractive to me (they often have the English audio track only in DD and the German dub in PCM :(, also there are much fewer titles available here...
Damn regional coding! :smack:

My TV (Mitsubishi 55" 16x9) only goes up to 1080i. I don't have HDMI capabilities either.

1080 is the highest resolution either format will output. If you have component input for your video signal, you will get 1080 resolution from a HD/BD player.

HDMI is only a connection type and unless you use your TV for routing multiple signal paths, you won't need it to enjoy the format.

My TV (Mitsubishi 55" 16x9) only goes up to 1080i. I don't have HDMI capabilities either. So for me a jump into the iffy hi-def game would cost a pretty penny. I can't see doing it for years at this point. With no clear winner (Blu-ray or HD-DVD) and no real soultion for a universal player at a decent price, I guess I will just stick to little ol' DVD.

So my vote is neither. And I really don't even feel the need to change either... hey I must be growing up:eek:.

I have a 50" Pioneer plasma that does NOT do 1080p, however, the difference I see is amazing at that. If there are $99 players available at Christmas, it surely would be worth a try with you Mitsu, even if you just use Blockbuster and/or Netfilx or whatever, and just try it. Heck, $99 won't even get you a Metallica DVD-A these days! (or most days!)

All players and all software should work just fine with any 1080i display with either component or DVI input. There has not been any software released to date that utilizes the ICT to restrict component output so buy whatever you want and use it, there will be no additional cost compared to a display with HDMI input.

I have had the original players for both formats, the Samsung BD-P1000 and Toshiba HD-A1, for about 9 months.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back