Help needed with Lexus, Infiniti, and others........

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Can anyone help fill in the blanks with 2010 models of cars that come with DVD-A and/or DTS or Dolby Surround as factory installs? I know that the entire Acura line is now available with ELS surround systems, but I'm not sure that the new Lexus and Infiniti still have DVD-A/DTS surround.

Also, if anyone knows of any other models that either gained or lost surround capability, please reply here so I can update the master list. This information is hard to figure out by looking at the manufacturer's web pages. Especially when it comes to DVD-Audio vs the ability to play the audio from a DVD-V.

THANKS

Hyundai Genesis with Tech package still includes the 17 speaker Lexicon 7.1 system that includes a 6 disc DVD-A changer.

i have an Airstream travel trailer with a sansui qrx 7001 in it with eight sansui sp-50s in it - if youre interested.

w.a.reid

i have an Airstream travel trailer with a sansui qrx 7001 in it with eight sansui sp-50s in it - if youre interested.

w.a.reid

Wow! EIGHT SP-50s? That will freak out the kids at the stop lights! :D

I just got a 2010 Infiniti EX35 with the Bose 11 speaker system w/DVD player. The Bose engineering for this system has left me quite befuddled! Let me start off by saying that Bose made no claims that the EX35 had a surround system, just an 11 speaker system. So I knew that going in and was going to buy the car regardless, but also hoped that since it was capable of playing DVD videos that there would be at least dolby digital surround. There was no information in the owner's manual regarding surround sound, DTS, dolby digital, DVD-A,......nothin. I poped in a concert DVD video and, wa la, the Bose system indicates that it's playing in DTS 5.1 sound! An unexpected suprise for sure. I then put in the Yes - Fragile DVD-A disc that I knew very well surround sound placement-wise. The Bose system indicates that it's playing in MLP 5.1. Listening carefully though, the rear speakers are not playing the discrete sounds that should be there, it's more like a poorly done synthesized sound. I changed from MLP to DTS and the same poorly done synthesized sound in the rears is present. I don't know why the MLP and DTS came on when it was clear that discrete 5.1 information was not present. So, until I can test out my system further, that's what I know of it. The rest of the car is great though!

Brian

Are you sure you don't have front channel info in the rear doors? That's the way it is in my Acura RDX. It freaked me out at first, because when I turned my fader control to REAR, I could still hear the front channels in the rear of the car. It turns out that Acura puts the front channels in the rear door speakers so the passengers in the rear seats are not hearing only the rear channels.

Kinda strange, but once I figured it out I realized that I did not have an issue with the DVD-A's I was creating. At first, I thought I had an encoding issue. It was just the wacky system layout. I was used to turning a fader to the REAR and only hearing the rear channel info. Not the case in the RDX.

That's probably it, since Bose is used for both the RDX and EX35. What a waste of MLP and DTS capability. Bose engineering at it's finest!

That's probably it, since Bose is used for both the RDX and EX35. What a waste of MLP and DTS capability. Bose engineering at it's finest!

While it's always fun to bash Bose these days, the RDX has the Panasonic based ELS system for audio. It's the Acura RL that has the Bose system, and the same holds true in the RL. The rear door speakers output the front channel audio.

Oh, for the days of my Q8 player and those Jensen 6x9 Coaxial Speakers I put in myself!

Back