DTS-CD Help: Quad DTS CD encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navegador

Hey, pals!
I ripped my Dark Side of the Moon UK Quad LP, and I decoded it using kempfand's AA3 script.
I don't even know how I got it (maybe a friend of mine forgot it here). I never had the opportunity to hear it in a real surround system. But I heard them with earplugs, and it sounds AMAZING, much better than I expected.

Now I want to make a DTS CD, I want to be able to enjoy this masterpiece just like Alan Parsons wanted me to.

I packed the four mono files to an .agm file. No problems there.
In the encoding tool, I select the .agm file. Everything seems to be alright. When I (try to) start encoding, a meaningless error appears.

ss330.png

I tried this many times. Sometimes it went 'til 1%, sometimes 'til 4%, and that's it.

Do you guys have any idea what this might be? I just don't know what do, I'm in despair!

Thanks!

I am not sure what an "agm" file is.........

Aren't you using SurCodeDTS?

Jon, that's the file type resulting from DTS Pro Encoder packing.

I agree with what Jon is recommending. Use SurCode CDPro to accomplish a DTS CD.

Last edited:
It seems you are using the DTS 96/24 encoder , which makes a file for a DTS DVD,
not a DTS CD, for which you should use the program Jon mentioned.

IIRC, an .agm file is the "intermediate" file that's created with the 4 to 6 wav files from the surround mix, and before the "interleaved" DTS 96/24 file that you use to author the DVD is encoded...

Ahah. You know, I have that newer DTS program, but quite frankly I have never used it. I've been using SurCode for so long that I just default to that.

Thanks for clearing that up, George and kap'n! :D

It seems you are using the DTS 96/24 encoder , which makes a file for a DTS DVD,
not a DTS CD, for which you should use the program Jon mentioned..

Well, it only seems so. I used 48kHz (the only one that supports Quad), and the only option avaliable is 16 bits.

Anyway, I'll try to use SurCode. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT: SurCode DTS encoder worked like a charm. Thank you pals for your support!

Last edited:
If you use the 44.1kHz files, and select this sample rate ion the packer, you will get a DTS-WAV file.
Also, to save a step, select the "Pack & Encode" option, then the encoder will launch when the packer has done it's thing.
You will get a *much* better DTS-CD encoding with this encoder compared to the SurCode one.

The 88.2 setting is for 24/88.2 Stereo DTS-CD.

Dumb question... Where can I get this program? Also, what type of multi channel sound card would you recommend for the task?

Oh, and will a DTS encoded CD ply back in any component CD player, as long as the receiver has a DTS decoder like my str-de985?

I'd like to get my Q8 tapes to cd if possible. I don't even know where to start, but I gotta start somewhere right? I guess any blank cd will get the job done?

@eyg2181

They are shareware. And they're very expensive, actually.
Just use correctly the powerst of the Google God!

Last edited:
http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/joom..._content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=88&lang=en

is this the program? It looks like you get 4 mono tracks, then hit the encode button and save each song, and it seems like they can be burnt to cd using iTunes. The only problem is, how do I get 4 channels of audio to the computer at one time? I could do them individually, but I would have to play the tape 4 times for each song.

@eyg2181

You have to do it twice, once for the front channels and once for the rear channels.
And you have to put them in perfect synchrony. Good luck with that!

http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/joom..._content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=88&lang=en

is this the program? It looks like you get 4 mono tracks, then hit the encode button and save each song, and it seems like they can be burnt to cd using iTunes. The only problem is, how do I get 4 channels of audio to the computer at one time? I could do them individually, but I would have to play the tape 4 times for each song.

Yes, that's the program, I've bought it and it's only $99.

It’s fairly difficult if not impossible to record and sync 2 different passes of a Quadraphonic recording from a stereo card. We are able to decode SQ/QS recordings from Stereo though. Your best bet is to find a sound card that has at least 4 inputs.

That is the proper program for creating DTS-CD’s. You also might record your 4 track recordings at 24 bit / 96 kHz and save the files for later to create a “lossless” DVD-Audio disc. Then one would “down sample” to either 24 bit / 44.1 kHz or 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. I’ve even used itunes to down sample from 24 bit / 96 kHz to another setting. Surcode will except a 24 bit / 44.1 kHz file, but when encoded the waves will be 16 bit / 44.1 kHz, just as with CD files.

And when played back on my Pioneer PD-M500 (standard with no digital out), my Sony STR-DE985 would detect that it's a DTS encoded disc, and it would play back exactly as it would on the tape?

This is tempting... I might have to get this.

Is there a website or something that sells DTS CDs that are made from old Q8 or Q4 tapes?

Is there a website or something that sells DTS CDs that are made from old Q8 or Q4 tapes?

Actually, a website such as this would be selling illegal stuff, so we could not really discuss it here.

The conversion of old quad tapes and discs is a hobby that I partake in and many others here do as well, however, it's only supposed to be done for the owner of the source material as a means of preservation or the ability to play a surround title in modern equipment.

A long standing rule at QQ is that we can discuss the art of conversion and the hardware/software that one needs to do this sort of thing, but the sharing and especially selling of these conversions is strictly prohibited. See: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?3186 from 2004!

Thanks for understanding.

If you got a 4 channel sound card, you'd just have to play the tape/disc into the PC and then you'd have 4 mono files (provided you have the proper recording software). There are cards from companies like M-Audio that are fairly inexpensive and they'll record 4 to 10 channels of audio, all in sync.

Makes it a lot easier.

Just ordered Surcode tonight; I use an M-Audio 1010LT audio card in main PC and a 410 card (discontinued but pop up on eBay around 40-50 bucks) in the spare PC that does audio chores.

One thing that is almost impossible to do is decode a recording in one matrix system, and then try to encode it in another matrix system. The phase relationships of the first matrix system's outputs will cause errors in encoding in the second matrix system.

Why not just record a CD of the original undecoded record, and then play that CD through the proper decoder for the matrix the record was recorded in?

Not sure where your going with this. The thread was his problems in DTS encoding of a SQ decoded album. DTS is not a matrix system

OD

Back