Ambrosia in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought their first record on CD, having never owned the LP but being familiar with it back in the day. This is another unexpected treat. 2023 is becoming an expensive year! :giggle:

Alan has at least been practicing with Atmos...

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/alan-parsons-master-class-records-mixes-contest-winner-in-atmos
I’m completely unfamiliar with the first two Ambrosia albums. Like many, I came in around Life Beyond L.A. and One Eighty with the hits. I’d be happy to make my first exposure to the first two in surround, though.

I also came in with Life Beyond L.A. and One Eighty but once I bought their first two albums my mind was blown. Very progressive, and off the top of my head I can't think of any blue eyed soul in the vein of "You're The Only Woman," etc. on either album. Fasten your musical seat belt!

Alan has at least been practicing with Atmos...

I’m completely unfamiliar with the first two Ambrosia albums.
Perhaps I inferred too much from some remarks he made at the time.

Holding Onto Yesterday from the first album was a popular hit on both AM and FM when the album was released in 1975. Nice, Nice Very Nice was an FM staple. Alan was nominated for a Grammy for his mix.

Somewhere I’ve Never Travelled was more ambitious from its folded pyramid cover to the arrangements and instrumentation. As producer this time, Alan encouraged a lot of unusual elements. A couple singles were issued but didn’t chart. They didn’t quite have that MOR angle down…. Yet.

I imagine some of that money that Barry White album sales brought in helped with 20th Century Records’ launching of this great band.

Well he, like we, is no spring chicken, as they say. He better get to getting if he's gonna do Atmos.
I’m thinking maybe these older guys (MJD, AP etc.) learning and playing around with the new Atmos mixing system; maybe slowing them down on getting their Quad or 5.1 mixes completed. Could be a steep learning curve for ‘em.

They did a great version of the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour on the soundtrack album “All This And World War II”😊
Ambrosia regularly performs "Magical Mystery Tour" during their live shows. The song also appears on the Ambrosia live albums "Live At The Galaxy" (2002) & "Greatest Hits Live" (2010).

Perhaps I inferred too much from some remarks he made at the time.

Holding Onto Yesterday from the first album was a popular hit on both AM and FM when the album was released in 1975. Nice, Nice Very Nice was an FM staple. Alan was nominated for a Grammy for his mix.

Somewhere I’ve Never Travelled was more ambitious from its folded pyramid cover to the arrangements and instrumentation. As producer this time, Alan encouraged a lot of unusual elements. A couple singles were issued but didn’t chart. They didn’t quite have that MOR angle down…. Yet.

I imagine some of that money that Barry White album sales brought in helped with 20th Century Records’ launching of this great band.
This video shows how good of a live act they were, and it doesn't seem to be edited. Many times I've been to a concert and been a bit underwhelmed by the performance compared to the artist's recorded work, but not with these guys:

Ambrosia regularly performs "Magical Mystery Tour" during their live shows. The song also appears on the Ambrosia live albums "Live At The Galaxy" (2002) & "Greatest Hits Live" (2010).
Well, unfortunately the lead singer is no David Pack and a poor substitute IMHO, so I won't be getting those. To me, Ambrosia is only Ambrosia with David Pack and Joe Puerta on lead vocals. Anything else, not interested.

I saw them in 1975 on their Somewhere I've Never Travelled tour, (with the Strawbs who opened the show and were amazing BTW), but to this day remains one of my favorite live show ever, and I've seen over 50 live concerts from that 70's era of classic rock bands. The original band with David Pack and Joe Puerta were tight, great vocals and harmonies, extremely talented musicians with 3 encores! Then David Pack went the dark side in the 80's and started doing those sappy love songs, even worse with Mike McDonald who ruined the rock'n'roll 70's :ROFLMAO:

Wow, just listened to the first album… fantastic prog rock album! I only knew of them by their soft rock hits (“How Much I Feel”), but this album has influences including Yes, ELP, and Floyd. And the musicianship is stellar. This will make for a surround feast in Parsons’ hands 😁
Don't you think "Mama Frog" & "Drink of Water" are fantastic 'Deep Tracks' ?
If you think the 1st Ambrosia album is "stellar", you will find their 2nd album "Somewhere I've Never Travelled" to be a Prog Rock 'treat'.
I look forward to your reaction to "The Brunt", "Danse With Me George (Chopin's Plea)", "Harvey", "Cowboy Star", ...

The first two Ambrosia albums reside inside my all-time 'Top Ten' favorites list, with SINT at position #1.
Their 5th album, "Road Island"(1984), resides just outside my 'Top Ten' 🎶 😀

Last edited:
Drink of Water is my favorite track of theirs' ever! Mama frog is a little out there, but I love it! Somewhere is a very different album, and even more eclectic. Lead track, Can't Let A Woman and Cowboy Star are my favorite tracks there. If you're interested, try to find the song I noted earlier in this thread, them doing Magical Mystery Tour on the Beatles tribute album, All This And WWII. If you can't find it, the original track from the original band, let me know and I can tell you where to get it.

I'm not sure I ever heard Ambrosia on the radio over here in the UK way back then nigh on 50 years ago! So I suspect they are/were way better known in the US. When people started posting a while back I went and did a search and listened to them on YouTube, I didn't recognise either of their two well known US hits. I'll still be buying it though as I liked what I heard - bizarrely I might not have liked them back in '75 if I'd heard them then!

Then David Pack went the dark side in the 80's and started doing those sappy love songs, even worse with Mike McDonald who ruined the rock'n'roll 70's :ROFLMAO:
If you want to hear David Pack doing non-sappy songs, his three contributions to the first Alan Parsons "solo" album are worth checking out. Assuming you don't know them already.

Also wondering, how many folks here under 45 even have heard these guys :unsure:
I'm not even 35 :LOL: But the only Ambrosia song I ever heard on the radio was "Biggest Part of Me", and it wasn't until I got into the Parsons discography and felt like I had to check out what David Pack was up to on those first two Ambrosia albums that I listened to them.

I'm not even 35 :LOL: But the only Ambrosia song I ever heard on the radio was "Biggest Part of Me"…
It was the only song I had heard as well. I’d love to hear more in surround sound, …some bands just have a particular sound that fits the format perfectly & they’re definitely one of them.

Here’s that song in 5.1 mixed from multi-tracks:

Back