Hidden Quad Gems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Through random postings here on the quad board I have found out about a few original quad LP recordings that are currently available on cd, quad encoding still intact. Santana Lotus and Lucifer's Friend come to mind. Just run the modern day cd version through a good decoder and viola! Quad sound with the advantage of modern recording technology. It got me to thinking that it would be great if there was a section here on the site where a definitive list of this type of material could be posted. It would also be great to add those titles that weren't necessarily released in quad, but decode very impressively. Last night I tried out Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland after reading a recent post about it. Would anyone else like to see a discography of this type compiled here for our quad purchasing reference?

I know there's controversy with the Impulse/ABC label and what was really quad and what was marketing hype, but Sun Ra's Space Is the Place is really QS encoded on CD. The booklet left out the part indicating this fact that was on the inside of the original LP gatefold (where Sansui was mentioned by name) but it decodes too well to be just luck. I don't have the LP to A/B with, but I'm working on that.

The Mike Oldfield 3-CD "Boxed" set (Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommandawn + Collaborations) is one that immediately springs to mind. It's still available to buy.
The encoding is of course SQ, like the original vinyl.

Check out the link to the database site in the off topic area. Using the user name etc it appears a new database could be created for eact subject area... true quad encoded CDs and another for synthesizes damn nice stereo CDs.

With some fine tuning by better minds than mind it appears those databases can be created to be very user friendly. It's easy to enter stuff.

For my inclusion... the Barenaked Ladies Rock Spectacle live CD sounds wunnerful' when driven through my 9001 Vario-Matrix. No "ping pong" effect as found with parts of Black Magic Woman. Instead, just an all-around sound field that gives depth and a sense of real life to the audio output. If I switch from stereo to synthesized quad the difference is amazing. The stereo sounds so boring, lifeless, drab compared to the synthesized quad sound.

Yoweeeeee!!!!!

I agree that if we could establish a database of hidden quad recordings we should definitely separate the truly quad encoded recordings from those stereo recording that decode nicely. That can get pretty subjective, but it would be great to take a listen to those stereo recordings that people recommend.
I took a look at the baseportal page, but couldn't see any way of starting a new subject other than the quad equipment listing that is already there.

I'm not sure how all of the features of the ez board work, but what about a list like the one that appears in DVD-A Multichannel News? In the "Current DVD-A Titles" and "Upcoming DVD-A Titles" it appears that it is a non-reply type entry. Only the author can modify it and update and add new info. Would it be possible to add a category of that type to one of the sections and have someone get input from the members and create the definitive list of "modern day stereo recordings that decode impressively" and "modern day recordings of original quad material" that decode in surround? We'd have to come up with a less wordy title, but you get the idea.

George, that is a really good idea! I could set up the topics, but we would need someone willing to maintain the lists. (hint, hint)

I'll go ahead and set up the topics now so we can get the ball rolling.

Okay, I've added a whole new section that is a spawn of this topic. I think it has the posibility to turn into a great resource! We need some volunteers to maintain the lists we come up with. As George mentioned, check out the DVD-A lists for an example of how this will work.

From the response to the new categories Cai added it looks like this thing is taking off. I think we still need someone with Administrative EZ Board priveleges to compile those "master" lists. The postings by members are a great way to gather the information, but a bit unweildy to actually sift through. As Cai suggested, I think we definitely need some additional info other than title and artist. Here's what I think should be included;

In the Matrix Quad Compact Disc Section;
Artist, Title, Catalog #, Quad format, Decoders capable of decoding surround for playback of this material. (It might be good to suggest at least a couple of possibilities here for those that don't own the high end Tate decoders, etc.)

In the Stereo Sounding Great In Quad;
Artist, Title, Catalog #, Decoders that unleash the hidden quad experience.

The "Is This The Real McCoy" section might be best left as a discussion section. What does everyone think? It already seems like there is so much info just from the QS albums posting that it would be pretty hard to sift through and come up with a definitive list. But I could be wrong.

So, who with Administrative EZ Board access is willing to begin compiling our master resource list???

Go for it - you are now moderator for all of them!! :D

:-jon

I am moving this to the new forum section......

:-jon

Back