Highest quality vinyl ripping - How do I?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello all,
I want the ability to rip my collection of vinyl, sadly not quad vinyl, to DVD-Audio. I imagine the technique is the same, or even simpler than ripping the synthesized quad LPs, so for those of you out there who can share what equipment and software you use I would appreciate it. My turntable is long gone, so I will buy a new one, with a good stylus, and rip to 24/96 DVD-Audio or DTS-HDMA. I still have an independent preamp, made by Carver, if that is necessary or preferred to my integrated amp. I am guessing I don't connect a turntable directly to my computer!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

You will need a decent audio interface to your PC that will do 24/96. I use a MOTU, but that's a little expensive, but I know that many people use M-Audio devices which are fairly reasonable (around $200 - members here can help me out)

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

Anyway, the M-Audio or other box will probably come with software to let you record the output of your turntable/amp onto your hard drive in a 24/96 wav file. Once you have the file, you'll probably want a program that will let you remove clicks and any noise, although using a NR program is a personal preference.

To make the DVD-A from the files, I think DVD-A Solo is the most cost effective.

Do some searches here and you'll find a lot of info on this topic. Plus, I'm sure other members will jump in this thread and steer you in the right direction.

As Jon mentions, M-Audio cards are great. I use a 1010LT and 410 (discontinued) on the other PC. These are multi-channel cards but they make fine stereo 2496 models, maybe $100-$150 on the right day or less on eBay.

I record straight into Sony SoundForge audio editor. It includes some pretty good tools (many many out there) that get good results when used sparingly. I've been known to zoom up a file and nuke any serious offenders as long as it is inaudible. There is un-do for when I go too far. :)

Would be first to agree that DVD-A Solo is a terrific value for what it lets you do.

I use the following:

Turntable connected to a phono-preamp. The phono-preamp connected to an outboard sound card (for lack of a better definition) which is a Edirol FA-101. It's a multichannel device that allows up to 8 analog inputs and outputs. Useful for quad reels and 8 tracks and of course "needledrops".

For software I use Adobe Audition 3.01, but a freeware program called Audacity also works fine.

You will need to do some trial and error to get the input levels just right. If your input levels are too high, you will get clipping which in the digital world is a very bad thing. Use the loudest passage of the LP you intend to record, and set you levels to about -3db peak.

As for click/pop removal. I do this manually and only on the worst offenders. I'm not bothered by the "snap, crackle, pop" of vinyl but loud pops during quiet passages can be disturbing when trying to enjoy the music.

For DVD-A authoring I use HD DVD Solo.

Steve

I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed info. There's also plenty of resources on the web on this subject as well

Thanks all,
Many good ideas and I appreciate everyone's input. My hope is to unbox my old vinyl, and rip to DVD-Audio for future 5.1 upmixing. The albums were pristine when shelved 20 years ago, a little worried about them now though. If I am satisfied, I might even start buying vinyl again. There are some 180 gram pressings of Kansas just released that I would really like to hear in 5.1!
Cheers,
Mike

How about a turntable with preamp and USB built in. Example: Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB but claims only 16 bit and 44 or 48khz. Is there another out there that will rip at 24/96?

Any time I think about putting in the time and effort to do my own needledrop, I go on Demonoid and find someone else who has already done it with equipment that costs more than my car ;)

Excellent point; there is actually very little vinyl I'm compelled to hassle with anymore, given the access of great rips already.

Mike I'd steer clear of the single box USB solution. You're better off with the TT/cart of your choice and your receivers phono input or $20 outboard phono preamp meets a qulity soundcard or interface box as described above.

"more than my car" isn't that the truth, probably more than both of our cars. take a look at what Aksman and Dr. Robert use. They are probably the two best rippers on the planet.

All,
Sage advice. I looked at some of my old albums, and they don't look so good. Twenty years in a box moving all around the country and overseas will do that I suppose. I think I should refocus on getting a better computer, so I can finally play around with the SBU software and my collection of CDs. Really wanted to buy those 180 gram Kansas records of leftoverture and point of know return, rip em at 24/96 and make 5.1 DVD-Audios of them. Guess they can wait...
Cheers,
Mike

Hey Hey Mike, I'll keep an eye out for quality rips on those two for you. as soon as I clear my ondeck discs I plan on joining rapidshare and or FF and taking down some of those rippers, one of them may have those lp's posted. kevin

Back