If you could only pick one major advancement in Audio since the mid 80s what would it be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digital recording to hard drive.

24 track 2" tape was $80/minute. (Double if you wanted to run 30ips)
If you were wondering why not many bands would just let tape roll in the studio to see what they could catch or why live recordings were fleeting..
Digital recording to tape was a step forward for some things. It opened up being able to record a raw mic signal to be able to produce it later. You had to record full levels to tape and that meant dialing up some production live. Record a raw mic and it would be drowned in tape hiss.

With digital to hard drive you can record endless hours of 100's of tracks. Drive space for this is for all intents and purposes free. Not only catch those studio jams and bring home a full tour in multitrack but you can rehearse production for live events in your studio and bring some game to live shows you never would have been able to soundcheck on the spot.

The DAW. People blame Spotify, or the record labels, or the fall of the CD, or whatever for the sad state of musical artists today. But, the DAW was the first step in making recording available to everyone for very little money. The result is thousands upon thousands of releases every week, as opposed to far fewer, that were controlled by the labels back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Soundtools (later to become Pro Tools) wasn't cheap in the beginning, and neither were the computers that ran that software. But it all became almost free in the end (people can, and do make and release albums on their phones now), and now we have a monumental glut of music....what happens with an unlimited and growing supply of any good or service? The price goes D O W N..... a related note: in 1970 there were an estimated 4,000 albums released. Today, Spotify is ingesting 100,000 songs....PER DAY

Last edited:
I would have to say the portability of music collections. In 1991 I traveled across Europe for a few months with a backpack and had to condense my collection down to about 30 tapes which still took up a hell of a lot of room. In my last trip with a basic internet connection I had access to my entire personal collection as well as everything Tidal had to offer.

The death of disco...
It was a disco...but not for Lola... lol.
I worked at a Rock Club that unfortunately turned Disco. Best thing I can say is the sound system was killer with big Altec's at each corner of the dancefloor.
Big bank of Triac's running the underfloor lights. All I got.

The death of disco...
Who hurt you? :LOL:

DANCE!
Z1go4fs.jpeg

Back