Inflated Q4 prices

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know what happened to Jobucks (guest here in 2003) He seems to have disappeared from the planet and I want to find out if he's still doing cheap transport with van !

He showed up here in a discussion Re Tom Jenkins

I doubt anyone remembers him.

Anyhow I thought I'd ask

Plado

THis is an old thread from the EZBoard. The person who started it now goes by a new name!

It was interesting reading this thread. The prevailing wisdom seem to be that the world is waiting for the next DTS title - and the main value to the old reels is converting them. This is a very narrow view of things. Go beyond quad in your ebay viewing - look at what 2 (or half) track reels go for - when they come up at all. These were produced from the mid 1950's through the very early 1960's - about the same span of time that quad reel were produced - just ~20 years earlier. depending on title, they hit some high numbers (especially considering a. most are available on CD and b. they are upwars of 50 year old bits of plastic).
My point - there are reel collectors - just as there are vinyl collectors, and quad reels, like the half track reels before them - represent limited production runs of the best that audio had to offer at the time.

I've noticed that the prices of reel tapes have been going up even in local record shops locally.

I'm rather young when it comes to collecting this vintage audio stuff (I'll be 20 next week), so I wasn't fortunate enough to have been around when these things were being manufactured.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished that I was!

I've managed to pick up a rather nice quad reel to reel player (an AKIA 1730-SS), although it needs some work. Nothing I can't handle.

The problem is trying to find quad reels to play. The few I've located have been way out of my price range.

I've got plenty of Stereo tapes, and for the most part, they sound great! I still have yet to hear that first quad tape though, because I can't afford them!

I suppose I could convert some of my SQ albums on my PC and then record the conversions onto reels (I've got a lot of brand new reels of blank tape). I could then sell those on Ebay! (Wait, I think we've been through this before... heh heh heh...)

No point to this post other then to say I share the frustration of not being able to afford any quad reels.

Back