DTS-CD Insane, I tell you!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is waaaayyyyy too deep for me. I dont even understand what is going on?

Totally bizarre...

Now let me get this straight, you put the lime in the coconut...

Oh wait, slight diversion there... now let me get this straight, the guy takes optical scans of records and uses a program to decode (play) the scans? That's just about freaky enough to make me like it!

Cai, that about sums it up! I wonder if there are any possibilities past what he has done. Time to invent the record scanner 2000!

Basilcally it has already been done. The ELP turntable is a optical system that can be seen as a linear guided scanning system.
The big problem on a optical system is always reflectivity, and since the phonographic records hasn't been invented for optical but mechanical scanning, it's kinda hard to do it.
The big problem going in this optical way is to digitize a 3d image. A kind of evoluted scanner like the one we all use for photos or ocr doesn't seems appropriate to me, because the information is placed at 45 degrees. What will be useful can be a sort of scanning pen that can follow the groove and scan the groove (two pen, two channels), then send the data on a serial/parallel/usb/firewire/whatever port and then the software side of a OSR (Optical Sound recognition) can start.
I see this approach very problematic; a record is a 3d element, not a 2d.
BTW, it should be possible to do the same with a ELP turntable, just place a port after the optical pickup and connect it to a pc.

Intriguing.

Back