Interview with producer of the new Elvis 30 #1 DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an interesting comment he made about General Motors planning to put DVD 5.1 players in their cars. I hope this is true.

The Quadfather

hi

"Here's a great interview with the producer of the new Elvis 30 #1 DVD-A. Check out how he turned mono recordings into 5.1!"

well i hate Elvis more than life itself, but i may buy the DVD-A just to hear once how he did the mono tracks into 5.1 surround. thanks Gerardo

Who's got the best price for this on a preorder?

DVD Planet (my usual source) doesn't have this title available for preorder.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeez, you should see the "purists" at Hoffman's site all up in arms over them "messing with the king". Hahahaha! Whatever...

I'm not much of an Elvis fan either, to put it nicely. However, I too am interested to see what they've done with the DVD-A. I really like their approach to creating the 5.1 tracks from mono source. Very interesting!

If the original tracks are provided with the disc (and I do believe they are) then the "purists" are just being <insert your expletive of choice here>.

To each their own.

I had an argument with Ken Kessler @ CES 2002 about this topic, and (I think) from his point of view this is a bad idea, since Elv1s is not available to consult. I disagree with him, so long as the original is also available.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

The same approach was done by EMI for a couple of the classical DVDA releases they did.
They played back the stereo master in the abbey road studio and captured the hall acoustics and used that for the back channels.

Frank

Is it just me, or do the words "Elvis" and "Purist" really have a place in the same sentence? "Elvis" and "Beehive" maybe, but "Purist"? I don't get it. Mike.

Awww...c'mon, guys, give Elvis a little break here. You know, King of Rock and Roll, American icon, music as we know it wouldn't be the same without him...oh, well, to each thier own.

What I find interesting is that I seem to remember reading back in about 1984 (around the time that the Elvis catalogue was "digitally restored" back to it's "pristine mono state") that the crappy "rechanneled for Stereo" masters were created using a not entirely dissimilar technique: the mono master was played over a loudspeaker and the ambience was captured by another mike (or two?) AT THE BOTTOM OF A STAIRWELL (how "high tech") to create the "stereo" effect. I'm sure someone here can support/amend/shoot this info down, as I did read this almost 20 years ago.

I hope the results in this case are as good/interesting as advertised, and I'll love having the disc in my collection regardless. I just find it amusing that what goes around comes around, only with a different suit of (admittedly much nicer) clothes...

Back