Issues getting Atmos out of Denon X3700H (via HEOS or direct) with Tidal or Amazon Music HD streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzorchering

Newbie to these pages - so apologies up front for this, as I'm sure this issue has probably been covered already (many times?) somewhere on here, given the various issues I've seen discussed on the web (though usually out of date, so hopefully the technology has moved on) ....?

So, I've finally upgraded my 5.1 system to a 7.1.4 Atmos system within the last few days, based around the Denon X3700H with my oldish Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra Blu-ray and it works superbly. Atmos is great via the Sony's built in Prime Video app (Atmos movies are stunning), and the Kraftwerk Atmos Blu-ray disc is superb. In both cases the Denon display correctly shows the word Atmos.

However, I just can't get Atmos streaming to work properly (in Tidal or Amazon Music HD) - the closest I can get with both is a default to Dolby digital surround. The Denon display refuses to decode / display the word Atmos, even though it "virtualises" the stream to all speakers, including sound from front & back heights. But a side-by-side with the Kraftwerk Bluray confirms I'm not getting Atmos, just pseudo 3D. The Denon display just shows DSurr.

I spoke to Denon support today & they reckon that Atmos streaming from Tidal to the Denon is simply not possible at present (with or without HEOS), though Amazon HD should be fine (it isn't). I appreciate that there has always "been" an issue from the various complaints on the web, but am unsure where everything is now given recent devices / applications / driver updates etc.

So my question is - what "should" work? As far as I have read, the (now £50 on Amazon) 4k Fire Stick HD plugged directly into an HDMI-in is the ONLY? currently available solution? Obviously, I don't want to buy a Fire Stick if I can find a work around - but if it is the solution, will both Tidal & Amazon Music HD then work? And do I need to get the 4k one?

Also, does anyone know whether the Amazon Music or Tidal app is due to be rolled out to Sony any time soon, so it could be an option from the UBP-X800 home screen like Prime video is) or are any imminent updates due to Tidal Music HD to make them better integrate / work properly with HEOS (I've connected HEOS to the Denon via the Amazon Alexa app, as suggested in the HEOS app help screen - (I assume Amazon Alexa app is their equivalent to the Google Home app?)

Aplogies again for such a long first post & all the questions! I've been a very long term music fan & the final push to Atmos (which I've been toying with for months) was prompted by Steven Wilson's recent comments on his love of Atmos and intention to have an Atmos option with all of his future remix projects. I have The Future Bites deluxe (Atmos) on order & can't wait!

I've been totally blown away by Atmos so far - there's no going back now !!

Thanks again!

Newbie to these pages - so apologies up front for this, as I'm sure this issue has probably been covered already (many times?) somewhere on here, given the various issues I've seen discussed on the web (though usually out of date, so hopefully the technology has moved on) ....?

So, I've finally upgraded my 5.1 system to a 7.1.4 Atmos system within the last few days, based around the Denon X3700H with my oldish Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra Blu-ray and it works superbly. Atmos is great via the Sony's built in Prime Video app (Atmos movies are stunning), and the Kraftwerk Atmos Blu-ray disc is superb. In both cases the Denon display correctly shows the word Atmos.

However, I just can't get Atmos streaming to work properly (in Tidal or Amazon Music HD) - the closest I can get with both is a default to Dolby digital surround. The Denon display refuses to decode / display the word Atmos, even though it "virtualises" the stream to all speakers, including sound from front & back heights. But a side-by-side with the Kraftwerk Bluray confirms I'm not getting Atmos, just pseudo 3D. The Denon display just shows DSurr.

I spoke to Denon support today & they reckon that Atmos streaming from Tidal to the Denon is simply not possible at present (with or without HEOS), though Amazon HD should be fine (it isn't). I appreciate that there has always "been" an issue from the various complaints on the web, but am unsure where everything is now given recent devices / applications / driver updates etc.

So my question is - what "should" work? As far as I have read, the (now £50 on Amazon) 4k Fire Stick HD plugged directly into an HDMI-in is the ONLY? currently available solution? Obviously, I don't want to buy a Fire Stick if I can find a work around - but if it is the solution, will both Tidal & Amazon Music HD then work? And do I need to get the 4k one?

Also, does anyone know whether the Amazon Music or Tidal app is due to be rolled out to Sony any time soon, so it could be an option from the UBP-X800 home screen like Prime video is) or are any imminent updates due to Tidal Music HD to make them better integrate / work properly with HEOS (I've connected HEOS to the Denon via the Amazon Alexa app, as suggested in the HEOS app help screen - (I assume Amazon Alexa app is their equivalent to the Google Home app?)

Aplogies again for such a long first post & all the questions! I've been a very long term music fan & the final push to Atmos (which I've been toying with for months) was prompted by Steven Wilson's recent comments on his love of Atmos and intention to have an Atmos option with all of his future remix projects. I have The Future Bites deluxe (Atmos) on order & can't wait!

I've been totally blown away by Atmos so far - there's no going back now !!

Thanks again!

Welcome to QQ, @zzorchering. I can't really speak to Amazon Music HD, but as for Tidal: yes--unfortunately, Amazon, Tidal, Dolby, and a couple of others have colluded so that--erm, teamed up to ensure that--purchasing another device is currently the only way to get Atmos streaming to your Atmos-capable AVR (even if that AVR already has Tidal built in).

Right now, the devices are limited to the latest generation of Fire sticks and cubes, latest generation of Apple TV, and (if I remember correctly) select Nvidia 4k televisions. The cheapest option, obviously, is the Fire Stick 4K.

I think we're all hoping that if Dolby is serious about getting people to buy into Atmos, then these "exclusive" arrangements will only be temporary. But nobody's saying...

Last edited:
Thanks for replies - Fire Stick 4k now bought / attached :eek:)

Good luck! A couple of tips:
  • Make sure your Fire Stick is running the latest OS. It should be pre-loaded, but if you happen to have gotten one that was manufactured before May, then you may need to update.
  • Also: be prepared to have to go into your Tidal settings and re-check "Master" quality--and/or even to uninstall and reinstall the Tidal app--occasionally, if you notice that Tidal is no longer playing Atmos tracks in Atmos.
  • Finally: be aware that Atmos tracks stream on Tidal at a significantly lower volume than non-Atmos tracks. Tidal blames Dolby for this, but they refuse to make it possible to disable auto-play on the Fire Stick. When an Atmos album or playlist ends and Tidal decides to make you listen to something you haven't chosen, it may blow out your speakers (and your eardrums) if you've been listening at high volume.

My biggest irritation with the Tidal app on the Firestick ,is that I have to uninstall/reinstall the app about once a week to get Atmos. :cautious:

Thanks for the replies - yes, I've started to notice that there are a few glitches in the Fire Stick Tidal app.

As I've just mentioned in another thread, my main issue with the Tidal app within the Fire Stick is the lack of any real control or a text search - and the voice search seems to just reload Prime Music instead of searching for tracks within Tidal.

I tried to link the Fire Stick Tidal app (using the generated passcode) to my Tidal account - but still can't seem to control it via my iPhone Tidal app or even a web browser. That said, the Fire Stick knows that I'm logged in elsewhere / is linked somehow, because if I play a track via the iPhone app or PC web browser - the Fire Stick app just freezes! Help ;o/

To look for Atmos tracks in Tidal I have to use the mobile App (android) and find them under the "show all albums of the artist" option. There is no other way to find Dolby Atmos albums/tracks, as far as I know, nor Fire TV app neither from Windows PC app.

Then I have to put them on my Favourites play list.

Later returning to my Home Cinema Fire TV Stick / AVR, and restarting the Tidal App on Fire TV, I can select from "My Music" the added Dolby Atmos albums/tracks.

If somebody know a better way of managing this, It would be good to learn it.

Back