It's official: FT report was wrong. . . .

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

" Warner Music Group told High Fidelity Review they were not contacted by the FT for comment prior to the article’s publication, however, when editor Stuart M. Robinson approached WMG their representative Susan Mazo was quick to provide an official denial: “Warner Music Group continues to be a strong supporter of the DVD-A format.” Short, but certainly to the point. Off-the-record, the senior producers and engineers at WMG we contacted cited numerous continuing and ‘in-development’ projects as evidence of a future DVD-Audio release schedule. "

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=17205662

This is a cool quote:

More telling (and perhaps more contentious) were the remarks made by David Migdal, Director of Corporate Communications for Sony Electronics Inc. when I caught up with him in Las Vegas. When asked whether he was aware of the rumours about Sony Music pulling out of SACD, David confirmed that he had indeed heard “whispers”, and went on to say that Sony Music was, like other labels, considering “the viability of the format”, but that as far as he was aware no decision as to continuing support had been made let alone announced.

Frank

"More telling (and perhaps more contentious) were the remarks made by David Migdal, Director of Corporate Communications for Sony Electronics Inc. when I caught up with him in Las Vegas. When asked whether he was aware of the rumours about Sony Music pulling out of SACD, David confirmed that he had indeed heard “whispers”, and went on to say that Sony Music was, like other labels, considering “the viability of the format”, but that as far as he was aware no decision as to continuing support had been made let alone announced."

Well, as I've also mentioned on the Steve Hoffman forum, a salesman at the Sony store at Sony HQ in NYC told me that the company will be putting out DVD-A players, and that it was felt the best titles were coming out in that format. Needless to say, I, and the SH forum members took that with a pound of salt.

But then I read a magazine article in which Sony Music wanted to join the other majors in agreeing to DVD-A on the DVD side of the upcoming Dual Discs, but Sony Electronics put a stop to that.

It's all very intriuging.

Joe1963 said:
a salesman at the Sony store at Sony HQ in NYC told me that the company will be putting out DVD-A players, and that it was felt the best titles were coming out in that format. Needless to say, I, and the SH forum members took that with a pound of salt.

Reminds me of this actual quote heard inside Ken Crane's Laserdisc, late '97, regarding DVD:

"It's not doing well. I'm hearing studios saying if sales don't pick up soon, the whole format may be finished."

:)

eggplant said:
Reminds me of this actual quote heard inside Ken Crane's Laserdisc, late '97, regarding DVD:

"It's not doing well. I'm hearing studios saying if sales don't pick up soon, the whole format may be finished."

:)
Another one "LaserDiscs will be around for at LEAST another 5-7 years, as there will be MANY titles that will never come out on DVD, not for a LONG time. I would not worry about LaserDisc as a format........................" :mad:@:

:-jon

Back