JIM FOSGATE estate sale near Park City Utah starting 5/18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree!

I'm almost willing to drive the 22 hours round trip for this baby alone...fantastic!!

View attachment 91649

It wasn't long ago I did 12 hours round trip for a pair of speakers....🤣
I think @barfle living near Boise, ID and @Bob Romano living in Las Vegas are the closest members to this sale. And I think Bob is a Thoroughly Modern guy not interested in this stuff. So lets all root for Barfle to check it out!!

I can not think of any QQ'ers actually living in Utah. And there's no way to search for that in the profiles.

I just wonder if he had a prototype Tetrasound automotive decoder in his collection. I wanted a Tetra 2 so bad, but his original company went under before going into production. I even visited the dealer ready to slap down whatever the selling price was to be!

1684415439744.jpeg

1684416583707.jpeg

I think @barfle living near Boise, ID and @Bob Romano living in Las Vegas are the closest members to this sale. And I think Bob is a Thoroughly Modern guy not interested in this stuff. So lets all root for Barfle to check it out!!

I can not think of any QQ'ers actually living in Utah. And there's no way to search for that in the profiles.
Unfortunately, it’s about 8 hours drive, and I’d definitely have to rent a truck if I were able to go.

I thought I was an obsessive collector! My wife saw a handful of the pictures and noted that she could have done worse. 😍

The records would probably be my biggest weakness, though. I have a Fosgate Tate II SQ decoder, althouh it’s not hooked up, so I’m fairly familiar with his legacy in the business.

I just wonder if he had a prototype Tetrasound automotive decoder in his collection. I wanted a Tetra 2 so bad, but his original company went under before going into production. I even visited the dealer ready to slap down whatever the selling price was to be!

View attachment 91658
View attachment 91659
Great pics, Ken. It's easy to forget Jim Fosgate had such strong roots in car audio. Wow! SQ wrap around surround in a car. Two control boxes it looks like, one for the decoder & one for the decoded output to the power amp. I wonder if these were working prototypes or just mock ups?

The above boxes were before Fosgate Audionics & before Rockford Fosgate. It seems to me whenever he had a new concept or product line he just started a new company to accomplish that.

Clever using "tetra" instead of "quad". I vaguely remember seeing other Tetra products for the home even more space agey & futuristic than these.

Great pics, Ken. It's easy to forget Jim Fosgate had such strong roots in car audio. Wow! SQ wrap around surround in a car. Two control boxes it looks like, one for the decoder & one for the decoded output to the power amp. I wonder if these were working prototypes or just mock ups?

The above boxes were before Fosgate Audionics & before Rockford Fosgate. It seems to me whenever he had a new concept or product line he just started a new company to accomplish that.

Clever using "tetra" instead of "quad". I vaguely remember seeing other Tetra products for the home even more space agey & futuristic than these.
Looks like the Tetra 1 was the SQ decoder/control unit plus the amplifier. The Tetra 2 was the stand alone decoder. I love the display on the Tetra 2. The first of the fosgate Tate decoders was called Tetrasound as well. It was the original version of the Model 101A There is a post/thread around here somewhere about it.

The Tetra was advertised in the audio press, I contacted Fosgate and was given the name of the closest dealer "American Hi Fi" in Winnipeg. As soon as I had the chance I went there to check it out. They had no information on it yet, but tried to sell me a new cassette deck!
1684437560779.jpeg
1684437526268.jpeg

View attachment 91658
View attachment 91659
I had his Gavotte II in a 1986 Honda Civic hatchback, along with a Precision Power PPI-4200 amp, and MB QUART and JL speakers. It was unbelievable! That little car sounded huge! The best reaction was my mom's, when she heard a tape I recorded from some QS records. Her eyes sprung open like saucers, and the smile on her face spoke volumes.

Just got back from the sale. I picked up a few jazz and bluegrass albums, a Dynaco FM-3 tuner, and a Parasound ST-220 tuner all for $120. Lots of vinyl, CDs and cassettes. Didn't see any of his custom or surround gear unfortunately. I took some photos:

Hello new member phokus. Thanks a bunch for the pics & I'm so glad you got to go! Some of the really cool stuff was probably picked over by family already.

Interesting that you chose not one but two FM tuners... Wow that pic of the oldy car radios

How close do you live to the sale? And was it well attended?

Hello new member phokus. Thanks a bunch for the pics & I'm so glad you got to go! Some of the really cool stuff was probably picked over by family already.

Interesting that you chose not one but two FM tuners... Wow that pic of the oldy car radios

How close do you live to the sale? And was it well attended?
For some odd reason, I couldn't load the pictures.

I live about an hour away and was there around noon. There was a steady stream of about 10 to 20 people at any given time during the hour I was there. Stuff was disappearing when I went back for second looks.

I figured if I got two tuners at least one of them should work. Both powered on when I plugged them in but I haven't had a chance to test them further.

I did notice a bottle of VPI record cleaner in the garage, but sadly no VPI turntable to be found.

Here's a link to the imgur photo gallery if the embed is causing problems:
https://imgur.io/a/hPlauMd#vL7yrQG

Back