Dual Disc John Mayer Room 4 Squares Dual Disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savageone79

Well gullable me picked this up today in hopes of at least an acceptable 5.1 mix (even if only in dd5.1) Well I am sure you can guess from the start of the post how good the disc is! The first half of the album has basically no information in the rears except maybe some reverb... for some reason the last 1/3 or so of the album ups this a bit with a little action in the rears but not much and mostly just to open up the soundstage (which isn't all that bad) The worst part is the bass seems to be pumped up extra high on the dd5.1 mix and the highs are very tinny sounding compared to the original. I loved this CD but not worth a buy on Dual Disc. I would save money and get the original CD!

Last edited:
Are you referring to the "Room For Squares" DualDisc? I think that one just came out and I think it's supposed to have 5.1 surround sound.

Ooops. I thought you were speaking of the SACD that was re-released as a DD.

The Heavier Things SACD has an ok mix. Kind of a mirror image front to rear with some occasional discreteness. But it DOES have rear info. Haven't heard the Dual version.

Savageone79 said:
Sorry I made it more clear now.

..........................and I fixed the thread title!! :banana:

Barely qualifies as a surround title.

Though I'm encouraged to see such a major release in 5.1, mixes like this will do nothing to add a single member to the SS camp.

Back