Just a thingy I've been working on

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought a LP preamp should have a balance control on it (i.e. my cartridge is 2.7dB biased to the left and it drives me nuts since I have to play with the main preamp's balance knob every time I switch to records if I want the vocals centered. From what I read, channel bias is not uncommon in cartridges up to 3dB. Or perhaps something is faulty here since it's on the high-end of that figure.

You could make two cables with level controls on them (10 K audio taper pot). Set one a little lower than the other.

Yep both will have the same de dlick and DNL features, I think the super pre amp will have some additional adjustments and options. At the moment we are just looking at a sensitivity adjust knob on the mini.
I'm probably confusing (myself) on the "digital out" issue. When I talk about toslink, it may be OK for someone to play (at a lower resolution) to their AVR etc.; but I'm also considering the recording of 2-6 channels at 96/24 (what most folks I know here prefer their transfers at); which I'm pretty sure toslink doesn't handle. But as long as there's also analog outs, I guess I'd be covered.
Does that sound about right?

I believe a full spec review and limitations of S/PDIF ; both RCA coax and optical (toslink) is needed here. But also optimal recording of various LP types and how their audio limitations might or might not be a concern at higher resolutions.

But check out the specs for DisplayPort ver. 1.4:
1536 kHz x 24 bits and 32 channels.

Depending on the support of the gear you have as to potential usage of DisplayPort; but then it can also be converted to HDMI.

I'm probably confusing (myself) on the "digital out" issue. When I talk about toslink, it may be OK for someone to play (at a lower resolution) to their AVR etc.; but I'm also considering the recording of 2-6 channels at 96/24 (what most folks I know here prefer their transfers at); which I'm pretty sure toslink doesn't handle. But as long as there's also analog outs, I guess I'd be covered.
Does that sound about right?

I believe a full spec review and limitations of S/PDIF ; both RCA coax and optical (toslink) is needed here. But also optimal recording of various LP types and how their audio limitations might or might not be a concern at higher resolutions.

But check out the specs for DisplayPort ver. 1.4:
1536 kHz x 24 bits and 32 channels.

Depending on the support of the gear you have as to potential usage of DisplayPort; but then it can also be converted to HDMI.

Yeah, toslink is limited to 2 channels at 96/24 or compressed streams for multichannel.

This particular product is the preamp, which is stereo anyway, so toslink would do as the digital output.

When I get to making a separate multi-channel analog to digital box, (And integrating it in a future super preamp and super surround master) DP is what I'm looking at using.

I really do hope that a digital output is in the Surround Master's future. I fear that my beloved Lexicon processor is saying "the long goodbye," and it's very difficult to find a latter day processor with analog inputs. (My Lexicon actually has programmable analog inputs that I have set up for two sets of stereo inputs and two sets of 5.1 inputs.)

Last edited:
Back