Kansas Song for America SQ LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this old thread. There is some out of place chatter on another thread about this topic. I certainly have my doubts it exists. For that matter, the Label-Catalog number below is identical to the regular stereo vinyl from the same year (1975) Even if there were a quad version, wouldn't the catalog number be different?

1688139819524.png

I got email reply from Kansas producer Jeff Glixman about 15 years ago when a number of people were ‘certain’ that Leftoverture had a 5.1 mix prepared that went unreleased. He replied no such thing.
All the more reason for Steven Wilson or Stephen W Tayler to show Leftoverture some love.

I got email reply from Kansas producer Jeff Glixman about 15 years ago when a number of people were ‘certain’ that Leftoverture had a 5.1 mix prepared that went unreleased. He replied no such thing.

I just bumbed the relevant thread if your interested ,Tim.
(Fr page 7 in legacy quad formats)

Im just happy we are discussing this album at the moment, It has been a long standing tradition in my life to play Song For America on July Fourth. 40 plus years of tradition.
Yeah, a bit corny and a tad eccentric.........but it never fails to make me smile and reflect. ( and I AM a bit corny and a tad eccentric, .......baddabing ! )

Im just happy we are discussing this album at the moment, It has been a long standing tradition in my life to play Song For America on July Fourth. 40 plus years of tradition.
Yeah, a bit corny and a tad eccentric.........but it never fails to make me smile and reflect. ( and I AM a bit corny and a tad eccentric, .......baddabing ! )
The version of “Song for America” on “Always never the same” is majestic, what an album that would be in 5.1/atmos 😍

I would LOVE to have Kansas in surround!! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, But 'According to The New York Times Magazine, artists whose original master recordings were destroyed in whole or part in the 2008 fire include'......Kansas (and many more) See: 2008 Universal Studios fire - Wikipedia
I find it unfortunate that so many current talented producers/mixers are against the demixing technology that allows a number of us here to make almost if not studio quality 5.1 mixes of some of our favorite music that we all love.

I've created great mixes of Yesterday And Today and US Rubber Soul that have way more discrete yet immersive rear channels than even the mixes that Giles Martin has put out so far, and even without Atmos, we still have the ability to create nice aural manipulations. I have had a good deal of help and training from a more experienced person, especially initially, yet even with my limited experience creating new upmixes, I can tell you that that early Beatles multiple "bounce downs" will absolutely NOT stop someone with the original tapes to create great surround mixes!

The long and short is that with current demixing technologies and AI, all of the first 5 Kansas albums could have amazing 5.1 and even Atmos studio mixes without the original masters. I plan on making the first 5 albums for myself until an if they decide to get with the program. Even Giles did a bit of it with Revolver, but so much more could have been done:(. I still will buy a stand alone Blu ray of Revolver if that ever happens :ROFLMAO:

I agree but one of the things I like about quad mixes are the use of alternate takes unused solos etc and without the multitracks they are gone forever.

(y) True enough, but to me any great quality surround mix is more fun and immersive to listen to than my stereo version. I hear that all the time. But you're right, it's unfortunate you can only recreate and remix the music from the stereo version:(

I would LOVE to have Kansas in surround!! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, But 'According to The New York Times Magazine, artists whose original master recordings were destroyed in whole or part in the 2008 fire include'......Kansas (and many more) See: 2008 Universal Studios fire - Wikipedia
I would presume (hope) that means only their two late 80’s MCA albums and not the earlier CBS titles.

In 2015, I asked Phil Ehart about what he thought about getting some Kansas albums in surround. I mentioned that Yes, Jethro Tull, Rush were having catalog albums done. He said he would love it, but as for the catalog stuff, Sony was in control and the band had no say in the matter. They decide all reissue stuff. Interesting, Kansas did do Absence of Presence in surround, though the mix was meh, in my opinion.

Back