Kansas Song for America SQ LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would presume (hope) that means only their two late 80’s MCA albums and not the earlier CBS titles.
I wrote this in another thread, I asked in a Kansas forum a couple of years ago and I was told by two members with access to trustable sources that multitracks exist, at least for the earlier catalog, and are well kept. One copy in possession of the band. There is also physical evidence that multitracks exist at least for two albums: Leftoverture and Two for the show. 3 songs were released in the game Rockband, which require multitracks: Carry on wayward son, Icarus and Point of know return, if my memory serves me right the latter two were live versions. Even if the rest is lost, the tracklist of Two for the show is very representative and as a 2 disc set, extensive. And a great album, with Kansas at its best.
After the release of Camel in surround, Kansas in surround would be my next dream come true that has some foundation in reality.

Last edited:
I'd say it's gonna go for at least $100 !!!! :eek::eek::eek:
I haven't seen this before , is this one of those "eee-lusive" ones???

http://cgi.ebay.com/KANSAS-QUADRAPH...goryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OK, so it's a misprinted label...still interesting ...
I've noticed that many of the records, listed on eBay as quadraphonic, actually aren't. If there's nothing on the jacket, or the label, it shouldn't be listed as quad. Truth in advertising! As for that Kansas album, check the matrix number in the runout section of the record. If there's a Q in the matrix number, chances are it's quad.

Last edited:
I wrote this in another thread, I asked in a Kansas forum a couple of years ago and I was told by two members with access to trustable sources that multitracks exist, at least for the earlier catalog, and are well kept. One copy in possession of the band. There is also physical evidence that multitracks exist at least for two albums: Leftoverture and Two for the show. 3 songs were released in the game Rockband, which require multitracks: Carry on wayward son, Icarus and Point of know return, if my memory serves me right the latter two were live versions. Even if the rest is lost, the tracklist of Two for the show is very representative and as a 2 disc set, extensive. And a great album, with Kansas at its best.
After the release of Camel in surround, Kansas in surround would be my next dream come true that has some foundation in reality.

The existence of multitracks for certain Kansas albums, such as Leftoverture and Two for the Show, along with their inclusion in the game Rock Band, suggests that there is a possibility of a future Kansas release in surround sound, which would be a dream come true for fans.

I've noticed that many of the records, listed on eBay as quadraphonic, actually aren't. If there's nothing on the jacket, or the label, it shouldn't be listed as quad. Truth in advertising! As for that Kansas album, check the matrix number in the runout section of the record. If there's a Q in the matrix number, chances are it's quad.
I'm kind of a jackass when I see stuff like that on eBay. I always contact the owner and, as nicely as I possibly can, alert them that the album is not quadraphonic. I think many sellers just copy the listing from someone else's. (Not in the case of this Kansas, I'm sure.) I try to appeal to their role as a seller saying something to the effect of, "you wouldn't want a disappointed buyer that would want to return it." They need to think about their approval ratings. Usually I get a message back thanking me and that they will fix it, but not always.

I'm kind of a jackass when I see stuff like that on eBay. I always contact the owner and, as nicely as I possibly can, alert them that the album is not quadraphonic. I think many sellers just copy the listing from someone else's. (Not in the case of this Kansas, I'm sure.) I try to appeal to their role as a seller saying something to the effect of, "you wouldn't want a disappointed buyer that would want to return it." They need to think about their approval ratings. Usually I get a message back thanking me and that they will fix it, but not always.
I've also done that, especially when the record is a London Phase 4 series album.

I bought two supposedly quad records of “The Wurst of P.D.Q. Bach.” The cover has “Quqdraphonic” on it, but the records are stereo. I can’t say for sure, but it seems the label didn’t bother with a separate jacket for the quads, or they never actually made any.

I did ask one seller to check the record itself for any mention of quad, and he (or she) changed the listing.

I bought two supposedly quad records of “The Wurst of P.D.Q. Bach.” The cover has “Quqdraphonic” on it, but the records are stereo. I can’t say for sure, but it seems the label didn’t bother with a separate jacket for the quads, or they never actually made any.

I did ask one seller to check the record itself for any mention of quad, and he (or she) changed the listing.

They made it. I have it. The cover, and labels, are prominently marked as quadraphonic.

...and the vinyl plays in glorious quadraphonic?

...and the vinyl plays in glorious quadraphonic?
Even a stereo record will deliver some surround effect when played through a matrix decoder. But, yes, this PDQ Bach plays in glorious surround. Through the Surround Master, the separation is virtually discrete.

Back