DVD/DTS Poll Katatonia - The Fall Of Hearts [DTS 96/24 DVD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the Audio-DVD of KATATONIA - The Falls Of Hearts (DTS 96/24)

• 10 Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 30.8%

Votes: 6 46.2%

Votes: 3 23.1%

• 5 Meh....

• 1 Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Audio DVD release containing a DTS 96/24 5.1 surround mix (y)(n)

Attachments

0tto

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
i wasn't planned to buy because DTS only surround stream. then spotted it on amazon for $14 CAD+shipping.
anyway, some dumbhead decided DTS would be enough and surely screwed up. Bruce did outstanding 5.1 mix.
great surround soundfield, very good dynamic (unlike stereo stream which albeit lossless, sounds quite painful
due extensively applied limiter with compressor).

no album theme neither artistic approach was taken to consideration in vote, albeit i really very much liked what
i heard. thus even more frustration about lossy stream.

so been said - 10+ to Bruce for his work on 5.1
7 to whoever produced and manufactured this release.

perzon57

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I 've been playing this a lot since I received it and really like both the music and the mix.Gave it a 9.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Quite a pleasant listen. Enjoyable songs. Solid mix. For those that don't like growly metal, this should be your cup o' tea. It's Mellow Metal.
Strong 9. Not a 10, just 'cause that has to be retained for the Darksides and Ravens of this world.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I got this one too. DTS (96/24) is no problem for me, although DVD-A would be a definite plus.
I've played it a couple of times and found the songs rather unmemorable. The sound of the surround is OK. The stereo is mastered a lot louder, which shows at the bonus track, that is stereo only.
At this point an eight from me.

Nimbatus

A solid surround mix, that suffers from the same problems as Bruce's remix of Opeth's Deliverance. The guitars are heavily filtered and lack some bite. Also they're sometimes too low in the mix, though this might be basically caused by the the weird EQing. The snare doesn't have the impact I'd like to hear on this kind of music. The kick drum is too muddy at times.

The songs seem rather unmemorable to me. I don't think I'm gonna come back to this album regularly. All in all a weak 7 from me.

Last edited:

keenly

Banned
A solid surround mix, that suffers from the same problems as Bruce's remix of Opeth's Deliverance. The guitars are heavily filtered and lack some bite. Also they're sometimes too low in the mix, though this might be basically caused by the the weird EQing. The snare doesn't have the impact I'd like to hear on this kind of music. The kick drum is too muddy at times.

The songs seem rather unmemorable to me. I don't think I'm gonna come back to this album regularly. All in all a weak 7 from me.
(y)
Yep, accurate summary, although this is not as bad as Deliverance which has the main riffs buried in the mix creating a muddy mess.

Nimbatus

Agreed! It's definitely a step up. Maybe the upcoming Riverside album suits Bruce's mixing style more?

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hmmm, thought I already voted for this one...

Love this one. Stellar mix from Soord, and excellent dynamic range. Musically, it's much in the same vein as their previous few albums. Nothing exactly new here, but very good, nonetheless. The melodies reveal themselves slowly, and it gets better each time I listen to it. Bummer no hi-res, but that's a minor complaint for me. Feeling a 9 on this one.