Ken Nordine Dead at 98 - Word Jazz

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
In the late sixties some friends and I went to a local hangout called The Black Brick that was run by a married couple of semi-retired beatniks. They played a lot of tracks from Ken Nordine's Word Jazz albums. A few years ago I bought a a copy of the Rhino CD box You're Getting Better: The Word Jazz Dot Masters, which really brought back a rush of memories.

What a long run he had. RIP, Mr. Nordine.

Hearing Word Jazz on WBEZ had been a highlight of many a Sunday night. I feel lucky to have seen him perform with Howard Levy and Chad Wackerman at the Beat Kitchen in Chicago several decades ago.

Attachments

• ken nordine.jpg
    ken nordine.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 47
I always listened to him every chance on NPR some years ago. I remeber his shows being so clever & entertain. One of my faves is when he would pick a color & dissect and represent music. I remember him questioning if mauve is even really a color. Although I go by Scott my first name is actually Roger. I was delighted when I found out he had a piece called Roger. "What's he doing in the basement all the time? He's always soldering & working on electrical things. Maybe he is a ham radio operator" Well I was & I was pretty tickled until it turned quite creepy. Bomb making IIRC.

Sorry to hear the news Linda but thank you for sharing.

I can't remember how I found out about Nordine - probably from Chris Zingg who owned In Your Ear Records in Boston, but I got into his stuff. I was in Chicago for a job in late May of 1992 and as was my habit I went to a local record store to check their stacks and see who was performing in town. Lo and behold, there was a Ken Nordine performance scheduled for a few days later! I could not believe my luck. I don't think he did live shows more than a handful of times in all his years on earth. Got tix, attended on 6/2/92, and the show was fantastic! It was also videotaped. The video has never been released... maybe now it will be. But some of the audio became a portion of a CD called Upper Limbo. I can be heard whistling at certain points in the applause sections!

Incidentally, for you Deadheads, the engineer at the mixing board that evening was Dan Healy. I got to chat with Dan a little before the show.

I set out to collect all his albums - I have all but one - and ended up calling his answering machine, because he managed his own affairs. My name is Ken, and one day I got a call from a silky smooth bass voice saying "Ken, it's Ken." We talked about product and a few other fun topics. I bought several things from him. Real nice guy!

RIP Ken. It was fun!

He found his way onto the airlist at an FM station that played everything from prog rock to Brit folk in the early seventies... very enjoyable

Back in the mid 1990s, when AOL discussion forums were a hot thing, I started a thread in the NPR fans group suggesting that they re-run the Word Jazz series. A lot of people jumped in and agreed with me. I think it was there that I acquired the 800 number one could call to order episodes of Word Jazz on cassette. I called the number and . . .OH MY GOD!! IT'S KEN NORDINE ANSWERING THE PHONE!!! I had a brief chat with him, and when he asked me if I was on AOL and if I knew about a current thread about rebroadcasting the Word Jazz series, it was with great pride that I replied," Yes, that's me! I started that thread!!" That's definitely a memory highlight for me.

Back