kenwood xxv-05v DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland123

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Just a heads up to those who may be interested, there are currently 2 of these units up on ebay right now. Both look good. One has got a high bid of only $200 ends in 2 days, the other is a buy it now for $400, but I didn't see the cables in his picture so that needs to be asked. This is an outstanding hi performance dvd-a / dts player that originally sold for $1200. Highly recommended for those of you serious about auto surround sound, there is also someone selling a new in the box pioneer avh p 7800 for $800. It is also dvd-a / dts. This unit sold new 10 years ago for @ $1400. You can't get better Quality than either of these. These units will smoke anything sold past and present. And no I am not the seller of any of these. Just a heads up for those interested.

Btw not sure if this post should have been in "ebay watch" or here, as it is mobile audio specific.

I'm pretty sure this model downmixes any surround DVD-A discs. I think one of our QQ members has one of these, perhaps he can confirm.

I own the xxv 05v as well as a pioneer avh p7600 (1 notch lower than the 7800) and neither of them will upmix or downmix anything. They are both straight up the best 12v audio heads you can purchase. Both the kenwood and the pioneer incorporate pioneer's burr - brown dac's, which are exactly the same audio chips found in your high end dvda home players such as pioneer, onkyo, denon and macintosh. Trust me my friend I was involved for many years in competition car audio if you are a fan of high end 12v audio there is nothing better.
I competed regularly with both of those heads and won several titles, unfortunately we weren't allowed to compete w dvd-a discs cuz I woulda walked over just about everyone. At that time only myself and one maybe two other guys were into hi rez.

Glad to hear that's not the case with this Kenwood. There were many units, both factory and after market with the DVD Audio logo on face plate. These would play the discs but would fold the multi-channel into two channels. My friends Jeep had the logo and did the same. Oddly, it even played dts encoded CD's, again folding multi into 2... Apparently manufacturers didn't want to pay the extra fees associated with multi-channel licensing rights. So it's something that's been done for a buck, so to speak. ;)

Back